• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Questions for the royal

Jeff_in_KC said:
Question... for anyone who has seen the map: where will the turn in site be on this thing? I don't see anything labeled and I was trying to get an idea of distance from my camp.

If it was me I wouldn't worry about it until I got there and got set up. Walk it, time it, and add a little for the extra bodies come turn in time. If you have consistent product, and fairly consistent cook times you can adjust accordingly. But, that's just me :D

The turn-ins are in the Gov Bldg, they also serve breaskfast there, have the cooks meeting.

Something you won't see until turn-in times on Saturday is the number of people and vehicles you must maneuver around to get to turn-in and the line you will have when you get there. Just plan on leaving for turn-in to get you there at the very front end of the turn-in window. That will give you the cushion for unforeseen "traffic." Welcome to the American Royal!

You need a dedicated runner at the Royal. That person can be gone for 20 minutes with each entry, so don't count on them for much else.

Like Rod said, "Welcome to the Royal". It's a great time, but it's not like any other cookoff. You just have to accept some bullcrap if you want to cook there. Get you're food headed in early, and hope for the best.

Here's another tip. Bring extra water jugs. They come by now and then with a trailer to fill you up, but when it gets crowded you don't see them much.

See you there! Minion will be with me in space 910.

Doc and Minion together? Fark! That's an unfair advantage to the rest of us! :lol: Oh well, maybe I'll glaze with your sauce! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC said:
Doc and Minion together? Fark! That's an unfair advantage to the rest of us! :lol: Oh well, maybe I'll glaze with your sauce! :wink:

Ummmmmmm.....grasshoppa.......I think I let you know that you'd be up against the Invitiational folks in the Open........while you're there, you might as well cook both events.......

Doc and JM.......planning on driving up to visit.....bring me some frickin' Bonesmokers this time!! LOL Just kidding!

drbbq said:
Here's another tip. Bring extra water jugs. They come by now and then with a trailer to fill you up, but when it gets crowded you don't see them much.

I thought someone (Wayne or Rod?) said no water this year at the Royal. I could be mistaken but I got about 17 -18 gallons worth of water containers to take it along with me just in case.

A few things came up after I got my packet that I was curious about and hoped someone could fill me in:

1. I see I did get electric as requested but they didn't say how many feet of cord I'd need to reach it. They said 12 guage and I have 25 feet. I can split it once I get it to my site but anyone know what to expect ballpark as to length I might need to get from the electric source to me?

2. They mentioned on the schedule check in for contestants beginning Thursday morning. I'm assuming Open contestants can check in any time after that? The original plan was for Friday morning but I'm now considering Thursday evening. This one may take a call to the AR to confirm my plans.

3. Noticed turn-in times for the Open are later than normal contests with brisket I believe being 2:30 pm. I entered sausage which is 3:00 pm. Then the awards presentation doesn't start until 7:00 pm. I plan to have everything broken down and packed obviously before 7:00. Anyone know what most teams do at the AR? I think they have parties and live bands playing all Saturday night too.

Only three weeks away and as of yesterday at lunch hour, I believe I have all my shopping done except for a couple of tarps for side walls on the canopy, contest meat and groceries! Even bought a cheap $3 wall clock to hang in the prep area so we can keep close tabs on our time. :wink:

1. I see I did get electric as requested but they didn't say how many feet of cord I'd need to reach it. They said 12 guage and I have 25 feet. I can split it once I get it to my site but anyone know what to expect ballpark as to length I might need to get from the electric source to me?

Last year at the AR we needed about 75 feet for extension cord. Some teams may only need about 10 or 15 feet. It all depends on how close to the electric pole you are.

2. They mentioned on the schedule check in for contestants beginning Thursday morning. I'm assuming Open contestants can check in any time after that? The original plan was for Friday morning but I'm now considering Thursday evening. This one may take a call to the AR to confirm my plans.

You can check in any time they are open for check-in. We will probably be there Thursday night so we can start cooking for Friday's party earlier in the morning on Friday.

Noticed turn-in times for the Open are later than normal contests with brisket I believe being 2:30 pm. I entered sausage which is 3:00 pm. Then the awards presentation doesn't start until 7:00 pm. I plan to have everything broken down and packed obviously before 7:00. Anyone know what most teams do at the AR? I think they have parties and live bands playing all Saturday night too.

The AR has some rules about when teams can pack-up and leave. I didn't see them in the packet so maybe they have changed from last year. I would say that most teams are packed up and leave after the awards. We stayed until Sunday am. last year and it was a ghost town.

They will come around with water tanks to fill your jugs and are usually very good about coming frequently. Now when they are really busy it may take a while but can always ask one of the volunteers to call the water truck. Remember, this year MOST of the volunteers and organizers are new so it may not run as smoothly as it has in the past.

Thanks, Wayne! I am giving serious consideration to arriving after work on Thursday to get set up so that Friday morning isn't so freakin' hectic AND so I can rub meat sooner. I'm wondering if there will be meat inspectors available to Open contestants on Thursday evening. That would be great if so. Probably be by myself on Thursday night though. Hopefully I can find a spare hand to help with the canopy set-up.

As for leaving, I can picture a cluster-fark traffic jam getting outta there after the awards presentation. Lots of people jonesin' for a hot shower and comfortable bed! :wink:

They won't inspect open meat until Friday. The invitational teams would love it, but it won't happen.

The meat inspectors have always been pretty available, but there is a whole new crew of volunteers this year. I suspect everything will be fine, but it might be a little different.

drbbq said:
They won't inspect open meat until Friday. The invitational teams would love it, but it won't happen.

The meat inspectors have always been pretty available, but there is a whole new crew of volunteers this year. I suspect everything will be fine, but it might be a little different.

Yeah, that's what I hear, Doc! From what I can gather, if you want the way the Royal USED to be, enter the Great American BBQ Contest at the Woodlands Memorial Day weekend! :lol:

Jeff - Just heard from Jerry Mullane (KCBS master Judge) that some teams at the Royal will have to walk over a mile thru 25,000 people to turn in their boxes!!!! Sounds like you need two runners! And no - I am not farking with you.

BrooklynQ said:
Jeff - Just heard from Jerry Mullane (KCBS master Judge) that some teams at the Royal will have to walk over a mile thru 25,000 people to turn in their boxes!!!! Sounds like you need two runners! And no - I am not farking with you.

I was kinda starting to guess that based on the map I've been studying. In looking at site sizes and putting two and two together, I was guessing at least half a mile if not longer so this news doesn't come as a total surprise. We got a great idea from Wayne yesterday... pizza delivery boy bags to keep turn-ins as warm as possible! Only we're going to get one of those casserole dishes that come with an insulated zip bag to keep them warm and use the bag from that. Small size should heat up quickly and stay warm, especially if we pre-heat 'em!

I agree with Ray, the AR should be OK - maybe some learning curve issues for some of the volunteers but they will get it figured out. The GAB this year was very much like the old AR though and I look for this contest to really grow in the next few years. Tracy Satterfield knows how to run a BBQ contest.

Jeff - you are no more than a 6 or 7 minute walk from turn-in, allow some time for standing in line - make it 10 minutes. We were about half way between turn-in and your spot last year - wasn't that bad.

Now if you come over and vist us and Squeal you might need to pack a lunch - its a hike. See you there - probably on Thursday night.

Back