Did I get screwed with this brisket?

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Seems like the thickness of the meat in the flat is insanely thin, no?

Maybe some of it is hidden? But I've trimmed about 4 briskets now and I usually have much more meat than that. I feel like this brisket is 90% fat :(

Someone tell me I'm wrong haha

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0142 (1).jpg
    IMG_0142 (1).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 223
Seems pretty thin from the pictures. This will be one of those learning things. Next time pay close attention to the flat. I have realized that it's not always about the weight of the brisket. There is a post here regarding how to select the right brisket.

Yep, that flat does look pretty thin. Sometime in the cryo it is hard to tell the flat's thickness. The meat guys hate when I pick through and reject so many!!

Seems pretty thin from the pictures. This will be one of those learning things. Next time pay close attention to the flat. I have realized that it's not always about the weight of the brisket. There is a post here regarding how to select the right brisket.

Yeah I feel pretty stupid now. Especially since I have people coming over to eat this thing haha.

Oh well, its a learning lesson like you said.

It should cook just fine. Maybe dial the temp back some and wrap a bit earlier than normal to keep it moist.

Luck of the draw, it happens. Just trimmed up 19.25 lb prime brisket from Costco. Trimmed off over 5 lbs of fat and couple lbs of meat. Had the same issue w thin flat but just trimmed it back some.

It should cook just fine. Maybe dial the temp back some and wrap a bit earlier than normal to keep it moist.

Yeah I think it's cooking fine. I'm about to pull it in about 15 minutes actually.

My bigger concern was that it doesn't look like i may get much meat of this thing :(

Looks like the point has the potential to be outstanding.

That I agree with!

Unfortunately I really needed a decent amount of meat from the flat to feed these people so I'm not sure if this will cut it...we will see though

Forget the flat, look at dat POINT!!!

Hate skinny cows... :D Live and learn. Here are my tips I share about shopping for the brisket. I always check to see how thin the flat is.

Shopping for the brisket:

- Here in SoTex, we have access to cheaper briskets. I watch for Primes to go on sale and buy a couple of them at around $3 a pound.
- I shoot for somewhere in the 14-16 pound range.
- I will go through every brisket they have picking them out. I look for a brisket that has a thick flat and a thick point. It might make it more narrow, but less chance of drying out.
- I love a nice, floppy brisket. Grab it from one end and shake it up and down and see how "loose" the meat is. The last one I bought would easily fold over on itself and sit on the counter that way.

Back