View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
One recommendation cut a piece of expanded metal just smaller than the size of your FB burn grate and lay it on the burn grate and your coals won't drop through so quick. Also I have always used KBB charcoal to start my fire and have never had an issue with it not starting my splits within seconds.
Yes, I need to get the expanded metal ASAP. Will be a big help. KBB will do the job, I just think lump is the better tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
I would scrap the charcoal altogether personally. I have actually never seen a fire built quite like you had it going in the video. I would take 6 logs, criss cross them, hit them with a weed burner, and call it good. You will get a solid coal bed way quicker than whatever you are doing with lump. I never understood why people waste so much charcoal in a stick burner for really no reason.
Yeah, I know a lot of guys like doing it this way. The "power" method :) Personally, I am not a fan of propane tanks. It's a pain to me having them lying around taking up space and having to exchange empties. If I had a pickup and a house with property and storage, maybe. But I live in a townhouse with no yard to call my own and a small garage. And worse, no pickup. I don't want propane tanks around. Plus, a chimney of lump might be 50 cents. Not really wasting too much, just a preferred way of starting.

Born and raised Alaskan and BBQ lover now living in Minnesota
AKMIMNAK is offline   Reply With Quote