Probably the best brisket, yet!!! (with pron)

In West Texas joints, there is an precise angle you can slice without unbooking the point and the flat, that gets as close to against the grain on both pieces. Then the eater can chose to defat or not themselves.

I normally don't get that down until I have done and flipped and studied about 12 briskets in a row. Roy Perez can do it in his sleep.

Originally, you never unbooked a brisket.

The best brisket advice I ever got was "Brisket is a journey. You'll know when you get there." Helped me a ton.
Looks like you did a fine job on yours.
One point to make, in your pic (the one barbefunkoramque used) you can see that the grain of the point (top) and flat (bottom) run in different directions. Before slicing (sometimes before cooking) I seperate them so I can cut both pieces across the grain.

In West Texas joints, there is an precise angle you can slice without unbooking the point and the flat, that gets as close to against the grain on both pieces. Then the eater can chose to defat or not themselves.

I normally don't get that down until I have done and flipped and studied about 12 briskets in a row. Roy Perez can do it in his sleep.

Hopefully, One day I will acquire the necessary knowledge to do that, for now, I'll settle on tender, juicy and tasty.

Excellent work my friend....see you tomorrow!

Roy Perez.

He is more than a legend in these parts, he is God to many of us.
I wished that I had one tenth of his ability and knowledge.

Weiser

Just when I thought I'd make it through a Thursday without placing a "brisket order"... Great job, now I've gotta try 350.

Just when I thought I'd make it through a Thursday without placing a "brisket order"... Great job, now I've gotta try 350.
That's the spirit! May the brisket force be with you! :wink:

I was given his "probe" which was an about 60 year old sharpening tool that had been whittled down to the size of an icepick. It was originally from the Old Kreuz market. I freakin LOST IT in the move.

Idiot!

Okay to the original thread guy. The slice technique I speak of that keeps you from having to unbook the brisket and slice it coming sort of diagonally against both grains is not a hard concept. I will look next time and pin it down for real. I like this cut your doing and was trying to add that you could actually continue the cut your making, but by flipping it another way, you would be able to cut the whole thing nearly (point and flat) without going with the grain at any time. Then you would have juicy tasty as well as an old school cut too. LOL I see you have the "juicy and tender and tasty" down (a trait that elludes many) as you said, but then you would even have a different cut. Of course if you're a competitor then don't be different.

He is more than a legend in these parts, he is God to many of us.
I wished that I had one tenth of his ability and knowledge.

Weiser

Looks great. One question, when you foiled did you put it in the cooler to finish or put it in the cooler after it reached 200??
Put it in the cooler, after it hit 200 degrees, for only about 20 minutes. Just wanted the juices to re distribute not to continue carry over cooking.

looks good, going to try my first brisket this weekend and hope it turns out that good. :p:p

And here is the result....

using the method described, we took 1st. place in Brisket, at Hog Happenins 2009, amateur division, in Lincolnton, NC, June 6, 2009.

A close up of our entry...
PICT0022-2.jpg

The official plaque...
PICT0032-2.jpg

:biggrin:

Dam Max, That looks really good. I just ate dinner and that still made me hungry. :wink: That trophy is very cool too, congrats.

Back