• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hot Pickles??

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Who's the resident authority on making hot pickles. I cannot find the tread where someone posted their recipe. I was thinking of adding garlic cloves, carrots, and onions into the mix. I found recipes for koolicles, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Yelonutz!!!!

His easy to use recipe is the bomb!

Here's mine...Got a jar brewin' as we speak.

Gallon jar whole dill pickles
3-5 Habs - stemmed, halved
1 TB Mustard seed ~ whole
1 TB Peppercorns ~ whole
4-5 LG Garlic cloves ~ whole
1 Pkg baby carrots ~or~ Cauliflower chunks

Remove 1-2 pickles. Add the ingreds. Add pickle back if there's room. Let soak for a few weeks...

SO you guys don't go so far as to sterilze jars, and start from scratch? You just use the original pickle juice and toss in the extras? The recipe I saw had pickled japs in it too. How long do you let it brew until it's ready?

Yep, I use juice they came in. Just toss in all the other stuff. I let 'em marinate atleast 3-4 weeks. Substitutiting Japs for Habs or any other chile won't be a big deal. Add what ya like. The factory brine has enough acid and salt it in to kill off anything that'd think about taking up residence...:mrgreen:

I haven't had much luck, taste~wise, with homemade canned pickles. I have been thinkin' about making crock pickles one of these days.

I guess I'll be picking up some pickers (as my son calls them) during the grocery trip.

i get a jar of baby garlic pickles and throw in a couple of of diced japelpenos and let them sit a few weeks.

Works great with garlic gerkins too.. or bread and butter pickles.

Just add japs and let em rest. My kids go nuts over the sweet hot ones.

i get a jar of baby garlic pickles and throw in a couple of of diced japelpenos and let them sit a few weeks.

Works great with garlic gerkins too.. or bread and butter pickles.

Just add japs and let em rest. My kids go nuts over the sweet hot ones.

You like pickles?

Keep em coming!! I've never had the bread and butter pickles. For some reason the names throws me off. Are they sour or sweet. Sweet pickles are good.

Now that stuff I've had...........and actually like it. Smells like chit......but tasty, chit.

I get a jar of Claussen pull otu 2 or 3 pickles depending on the amount of heat and flavor. Then I add 5-10 claves of garlic and a few peppers. I will also add herbs or peppercorns coriander etc for flavor.

I do a similar thing with large green olives. Poor out some of the olive juice, refil wtih habenero peppers/juice from jar, add some black pepper, garlic, a few bay leaves.

Another thing I came up with for green olives was to soak them in vermouth. Then when it's martini time, pour a glass of vodka and drop 2 vermouth flavored olives in and you are off and running.

Once all the pickles are gone...add more carrots, cauliflower, onion pieces, japs, whatever and let them pickle. Good snackin's...

Try this:

One gallon whole sour pickles
2 lb bag (or more) of sugar
4 oz tabassco
12 ounce can of jalepeno slices

Drain pickles and discard brine
cut pickles however you'd like them
In large bowl, combine sugar, pepper sauce and juice from the jalepenos.

Alternately spoon sugar mixture and pickles back into jar until it's all back in (may take some squeezin')
Fro the next couple of hours, turn jar to mix and dissolve sugar mixture.

Stick them in the fridge for a couple of days.

If your really feeling adventurous, try some Kim Chee. Spicy pickled cabbage.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16963&highlight=kim+chee

When I lived in Glendale, Ca. My neighbor was Korean. The grandmother would bury cabbage in the ground in containers. You knew when she dug them up and opened them. :shock:Best Kim Chee I ever had though.

She also used to stick the fish I would bring them on top of the points of the wrought iron around there house. Quite a sight.:razz:

Here's the sweet pickle receipe I use. I haven't added habanero or jalapeno's to it yet, but I bet that would make a nice sweet hot pickle.

1 large or 2 small cucumbers
1 red, yellow or green bell pepper
1/2 white onion
1 quart mason jar with lid and ring

Brine
2 cups white vinegar
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup pickling salt
Mix on stove top over low heat until sugar and salt is dissoved.

Slice the cucumbers, bell peppers and onion very thin and stuff into 1 quart Mason jar. Really cram them in there. Then fill to almost overflowing (just below the rim) with the brine. Put a lid and ring on the top and put into the fridge. I usually let them go for a couple of weeks before I dig in. :-D

The next batch I do, I'm going to add a couple of jalapeno peppers to the mix to see how it tastes.

Sorry I took so long to read the posts today. NUTZ
For kicks, throw in some whole garlic cloves or peeled hard boiled eggs. I will not be held responsible for your wifes reactions !!

Last edited:
Yelonutz!!!!

His easy to use recipe is the bomb!
Larry likes Nutz's pickle. Pass it on.

I like adding a few pearl red onions, garlic, assorted green chiles (at least one jap), basil and peppercorns.

Back