The other white meat

S

SmokeInDaEye

Can someone remind me never to start pork shoulders at 3 in the afternoon? Especially when it's cold and rainy out? Anywhoooo. Just finished two picnics, to be pulled for little pork samich appetizers on christmas eve.

Smoked with peach wood for the first time and it tastes amazing! I'm really pleased with this batch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome! Wish I had some peach wood. All I have access to is hickory, mesquite and red oak.

Nice job, Clint! I love peach wood, too. Try it on chicken if you haven't yet.

Good looking eats Clint. I never used peach wood before.

Enjoy your holiday

Looks great Clint. I usually use cherry wood with pork, but would love to get hold of some peach wood to try. Do you usually use the picnic instead of the butt?

Pig Headed said:
Looks great Clint. I usually use cherry wood with pork, but would love to get hold of some peach wood to try. Do you usually use the picnic instead of the butt?

For the most part, yes. That's what I learned on, plus they're cheap! Some time I need to try a butt and picnic side by side and see what, if any, taste difference there is.

Nice looking pulled pork!

I'm hungry...

SmokeInDaEye said:
Some time I need to try a butt and picnic side by side and see what, if any, taste difference there is.

To me, picnics have a little more of a hammish flavor, or a little more "porky" flavor. It's hard to explain, but it is different than the butt. They are both good in their own right, but different.

Great looking "white meat".

Peach wood is a staple in my bbq any more, I'm lucky because I have great access to it. I actually send peach wood in the brethren trades.

Yep, I'm definitely sold on peach wood. I just looked at the pork sternly and it fell apart!:biggrin:

Great looking pulled pork! Believe it or not, I never had pulled pork until Imade it myself whaen I first bought my smoker. 39 years with no pork butt...I think I could win if I sued my parents!

big brother smoke said:
Nice pork , Clint! And oh do not start this type of cook before 3 pm:-D

Noted. Today I started at 3:15. More pork, but this time it's ribs and bite sized garlic and mozarella stuffed fatties (aka shorties)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is some I just put in freezer

PictureorVideo169.jpg

Back