• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> "Appetizer Three-Way!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Appetizer Three-Way!"

As chosen by Ronelle & Moose for Haastyle (who is currently MIA) for winning the "The Chucky Challenge" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

ThePooPooPlatter-M_zpsa5fcf0be.jpg

Moose said:
Ron, if we don't select a new category for Friday, there could be a terrible uprising in the Throwdowns and we could be forced to walk the plank. I have a better idea: Let's have a Three-Way Appetizer Throwdown! You must prepare and submit 3 different kinds of appetizers. No less, no more. Main ingredient in each must be smoked or grilled.

Wow! What a GREAT idea! I sure like the way these two fellas think! :biggrin1:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/14 through Sunday 2/23.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 2/24

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Some great looking entries for sure.

Jed isn't there an international clause in the official rules?
What would the date have been here? Well CST as that seems to be the time standard in the pickle zone :heh:

I think you guys did well with the selection of the fill in appetizer TD as it has some nice synergy with the "On a Stick" TD. Some brilliant folks took the opportunity to combine them :wink:

Flash, get them skewers in the "On a Stick" TD, also! :wink:

Thanks peeps. I think I will. Can you point me to where I can learn how
to link the entry thread? I see Toast did. Looks like a good way to post.

Thanks.

Please accept my entry in the "Three Way Throwdown".

I started with some stuffed jalapenos.
IMG_0811_zps7465ec42.jpg

Wrapped up and dusted with YankeeBlaster.
IMG_0815_zps9b2de1dc.jpg

Then made up some Moinks.
IMG_0816_zps4a949e8b.jpg

IMG_0817_zps37bb467e.jpg

IMG_0819_zps5c0e18e3.jpg

I needed both Webers for this cook.
IMG_0824_zpsc5ced6fc.jpg

Moinks and Peppers went on the 18".
IMG_0826_zps3a72f611.jpg

While the wings and others were on the OTG.
IMG_0827_zpsd209297f.jpg

Please use this pic for polling.
IMG_0837_zpsbd0b0f56.jpg

Last edited:
Please accept this Official Entry into the "Appetizer Three-Way!" TD.

This is my entry titled, "MOINKS, smoked onions and potato skins".

MOINKS was the easy appetizer to figure out. To compliment I decided to make potato skins from leftover baked potatoes. I wanted to balance the protein and carb with a veg but wanted to do something "different" so I invented brined and smoked onions. Well, I invented it as far as I know. Made a brine with 2 tbsp of salt and black pepper mix and 2 tbsp of pickling spice. Let it sit on the counter about 8 hours.

Made MOINKS with traditionally-raised ground beef, ground pickling spice, worcestershire sauce, powdered onion & garlic, raw sea salt and steel cut oats. I liked the idea of carrying the pickling spice flavours from the onions to the moinks. I noticed Pitmaster T mentioned MOINKS were made from frozen meatballs a few days ago on a thread. I thought about it and agreed because the frozen (and in my case uncooked) centre would give the bacon more time to crisp. Good idea. Off my meatballs went to the freezer. Not so easy to put toothpicks in frozen meatballs, though! I could just get them poked superficially so 30 minutes into smoking I ran out and poked them properly.

Out from the deep freeze.

What can you do different with potato skins? :noidea: I walked over to Carol to see what she thought and she said bacon. Well, bacon is pretty standard, but, I recently made my own bacon. My pork belly had a lot of fat so I chop the bacon fine and use it to fry and flavour things. The first thing I made with my homemade bacon was fried potatoes, onions and egg. I was blown over by the flavour, it was incredible. Could I not do something like that for a potato skin? Why not! The pieces of bacon are direct from the freezer so they don't show how lovely they really are. Scooped the baked potatoes and chopped them fine then added to the pan. All that deliciousness went into the potato skins to smoke up some more flavour.

Everybody in the pit!

Please use the photo directly below for voting.

I wasn't happy with the colour of the bacon on the MOINKS so I brushed on some melted honey and garlic powder. Really loved the colour and crunch that created. The potato skin was packed with flavour and so much like that breakfast. I tried the onion and it tasted off, out of balance. Added salt and rich flavour bloomed from it that tasted great against the amber ale's bitter and citrus notes. The experiment was a success and new flavours abound.

Thanks for looking. :wave:

No TD thread is complete without this being said............

VOTE FOR MOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heh:

Back