price for whole shoulders...

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Guys, for those that have cooked whole shoulders what kind of price per pound are you typically paying? I have to cook some in the next couple of weeks and the only places in the Charlotte NC area that I know of to get them from are quoting right at $5/lb. $75 for a 15lb shoulder seems really steep to me. I can't imagine spending more that $2.00/lb on a butt. Are shoulders really that much more expensive? I would have thought they were cheaper????

Shoulder is typically cheaper than butt because it includes the cheaper picnic and includes less trimming and cutting. Why are you doing whole shoulder, BTW?

The most I've seen em for is 2.09 a pound. There's some out at a meat market I go to from time to time charging 1.57 a pound right now, until the 15th of this month.

If you ask a third time you might get even more answers. :roll:

Shoulder is typically cheaper than butt because it includes the cheaper picnic and includes less trimming and cutting. Why are you doing whole shoulder, BTW?

That's what I was thinking, that since it was less work for the processor and more waste it would be cheaper per pound. strange.

I have an MBN competition coming up that requires us to cook shoulders. I really wish I could do butts or even a picnic.

I would keep calling around. Maybe even check Craigslist for folks selling whole hog. You might find one willing to sell shoulders. Hard to believe that finding inexpensive pork in NC would be too hard.:-?

Maybe the store knows there is a competition coming up that requires folks to cook shoulders :wink:

Maybe the butcher is a competitor!

Butts are $0.97/lb at Market Streets in DFW this weekend.

If you are a KCBS member you can get a pass at your restaurant depot in Charlotte. Call them and see if they have whole shoulders and how much.

The shoulder, being a combination of the butt and the picnic, should generally be priced in the middle of the two. I've purchased them as low as $1.03/lb and as high as $1.89/lb. Usually a decent buy is in that $1.49/lb or slightly lower.

$5/lb, someone is smokin' something, and they need to share!

Normal everyday price at Wegman's is $1.39 @ pound for Pork Butts, at the Joint Base Commissary they are $.99 @ pound for butts. Whole shoulders or picnics are always less, because there is more bone and they usually leave part of the skin on as well.

I prefer to cook butts, no skin, less bone, easy to pull.

Take a drive over to Nahunta Pork Center in Pikeville and buy them right off the hog.

Back