Pork Loin ideas? HELP!

The Pig's Blanket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have read that not overcooking is most important. I will cook to internal temp of 140. My questions are

1) the fat, leave it alone or cut it off?

2) seasoning... I love mccormick montreal steak seasoning. Think it will be good on a loin though? If not what do you think?

3) im going to cook on "smoke" (180) for 2 hours then kick it up to 250. How long do you think it will take to cook? 4 hours?

4)Im also thinking some Bacon on top? Whatcha think?

5) Inject?

Last edited:
I use one Brine for everything 1/2 gal water, 1/4 cup pickle salt. 1/4 cup honey, brine for 1 hr per lb.
Fat is flavor and as we all know "PORK FAT RULES" leave it on!
I use Fiesta's Uncle Chris's Gourmet Steak Seasoning. I would not do 180 for 2 hrs you will dry out the surface and make it tough that is in the jerky range. Put it on at 275 cook to an IT of 135 tent it and rest it carry over will take it to 140 ish.

Sounds like you are cooking it on the Traeger.
If so, one hour at 180 should be plenty for added smoke flavor.
Will not dry it out at all.
Then bump to 250 or even higher at 300 or so to finish it off.

Keep us posted.

TIM

I did a pork loin Sunday that came in a lemon and garlic marinade. Trimmed the excess fat and seared on all sides. Cooked indirect until 140 then let rest ten minutes. It was tender juicy and good.

Jerk paste or marinade goes very well on a pork loin as well. I did one on Saturday and it was great, a little overcooked, but the flavor was fantastic.

I do my pork loins at about 275 (i cant get my grill down to 250) and they take 2 hours and they are perfect.

I brine in a salt, brown sugar, + whatever herbs i have laying around for about 4 hours.
Brine: 1/2 gall water, 2-3 tblspoons sea salt, 2-3 tblspoons brown sugar + herbs

Bacon will always help of course - i have done both

The one other thing i like to do is tie it with butchers twine to keep it all in tact as - i find it helps the finished product - 2 hours in-direct heat - let it rest for 10 min - and then drizzle with olive oil, squeeze some lemon over it sprinkle some Oregano and slice - then squeeze some more lemon to incorporate in some of that awesome juice that comes out and eat.

You might consider a reverse sear. Low smoke to 120ish, then toss it on a blazin' hot fire to sear the outside.. remove at 135-140, rest for 15 minutes and devour. I put the loins on as cold as possible when I do this to get more smoke flavor in the meat before it reaches temp.

cut the pork loin in cubes (keep the fat, but remove the rind) ....

marinate overnight in the fridge with 1/2 a cup of extra virgin olive oil, salt, fresh ground black pepper, 3-4 heaped tablespoons on dried oregano (crushed in the palm of your hand) and the juice of 2 lemons

next day, thread the meat on metal skewers, but add a piece of pork, then a piece of fresh onion, then pork, then onion etc .... make sure that the skewers are firmly compacted, or else the onion pieces will fall off during BBQ'ing

cook on a fairly high heat turning regulary ... when the meat is done, sprinkle more crushed dried oregano over the skewers and squeeze more fresh lemon juice over them

serve hot ..... that is the best way that I have found when doing pork loin

Sounds like you are cooking it on the Traeger.
If so, one hour at 180 should be plenty for added smoke flavor.
Will not dry it out at all.
Then bump to 250 or even higher at 300 or so to finish it off.

Keep us posted.

TIM
Yes sir that was my plan , cooking it on the Traeger. I will cut back to 1 hour on smoke then kick it up

Back