• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WiLD Hog

BayoustateBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well Sun my BBQ day I'm going to try for the first time some wild hog ribs caught in one of my traps, using pecan and apple wood. Any suggestions on a certain rub. I am marinating in a garlic/vinegar mix. :confused:

Last edited:
You bet they eat anything down here LOL. Seriously ,I've found Pecan/apple wood a great blend for smoking

Their ribs are usually not at meaty as farm hogs and will be tougher. You can use your normal rib rubs. Be sure to wrap them to tender up.

I've tried them once and didn't care for the taste. Maybe they were preped wrong or something. Had a unpleasant gamey taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy I LOVES me some wild hog! I use my standard homemade rubs when I do them. Although my wife prefers a coffee rub. Good eats there brother!

Wild hog is a delicacy in some parts. These had been "hogging" the deer feeders all summer and surprisingly had some fat on them. I'll try my brown sugar, onion, garlic, paprika rub on them. I'll be sure to add some pics for "y'all" lol. Any other suggestions fire away.

Do you have any pic of the wild hog? I've only seen them on the discovery channel. How big was it?

Here we go, figured it out
picture.php

picture.php

And me building one of my traps
picture.php

Holy cow! You got skilz! 3 hogs in 1 trap? That's cool, I've never really seen anything like that. Alo, I've only seen meat that I can buy in he store. I'd sure like to see picks of the cook. Thanks for posting!

Hehe, look closer. That's 4 in that trap. That's about our average. We are infested with them down here in LA. Got a pic of a 200 pounder too. This was a domesticated one that got loose and went feral. We have to control them because they are so destructive to crops. Done right wild hog meat can't be beat. Some restaurants pay top dollar for them around here.
picture.php

I'd like to also smoke some gator too, never tried it but I bet it's good

Back