Building first UDS - Rusty barrel?

C

chef solon

Help!

So I have a barrel - it's been out in the rain (got it from a buddy who had it sitting out). The metal seems to be in good shape with the exception of the rust - if I use a high heat rustoleum style paint will I still be ok to cook in this barrel - or should I just start again?

Should I take a grinding wheel and clean it up some before I mess with it too much? Etc Etc help w/ details and thoughts please.

Thanks!

When I did mine I didn't have rust but I wanted to make sure that it was clean of any residue after I burned it out I had it sandblasted inside and out.

If its rust on the outside its no prob. Clean and paint w/high temp. However if its rust on the inside, then knock it of with a grinder with a cup brush or wire wheel. Then season. But do NOT paint the inside! :)

Thank you! I knew not to paint the inside, just wasn't sure how clean to get it before seasoning. I'll grind it down with a brush and go from there. Thank you much!

Vinegar works amazing on surface rust. I knocked down the loose stuff with a rubber mallet. Then I used a drag and drenched the sides. Let it sit and wipe away.

As already mentioned, grind the inside with a wire wheel down to bare metal. Then just run a few foodless cooks with a hot fire to season the inside. Spray with cooking oil before hand and let cook for 3-4 hours. Repeat 2 or 3 times and you oughta be good.

Back