Roll Call. Inside 30 days. HOLY SMOKERS, Valley Park, MO Oct 26-27, 2012

jgarcia

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Calling all St Louis area brethren and everyone else willing to make the trip. This is the 4th annual event sanctioned through the St Louis BBQ Society and put on by the Knights of Columbus. There is a new area with much more room this year. Pass to the American Royal for the Grand Champion. See website for registration, schedule, and more event info.

http://www.holysmokers.org/

There is a backyard competition (Ribs & Chicken only) which is a good introduction to comp bbq for any first timers.

Pretty excited to do a comp so close to home. With the health permit needed are we not allowed to cook food for friends that come up to visit?

can't compete (and not yet a judge for the SLBS...although its on the short list!!) but will try and get some friends and family to make the event!!

Gateway BBQ will be there.........planning to bring out the "Insane Can Posse".....

Pretty excited to do a comp so close to home. With the health permit needed are we not allowed to cook food for friends that come up to visit?

This is the answer I received:
Friends have never been an issue. By definition, a friend wouldn't be general public or someone which the team would regard as a stranger.

That being said I'll try and attach the health forms, and they should be up at the website soon.

Last edited:
There goes my teams chances at grand!

Not so fast. Insane Can Clown #3 get's drunk and throws bricks. If he hits the chicken man in the head early in the day, we don't stand a chance......How's that for a messed up sentence?

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
This is literally down the street from me but once again a bad weekend. Gaaah. However, I'll be there Friday night with some brews after trunk or treat and maybe Saturday AM.

Saturday with Bloody Mary's would be nice. We plan to arrive around 6am ish.....

I could probably do that. I'm cooking for the trunk or treat at our church on Friday pm and our neighborhood Halloween block party on Saturday pm or I'd be there. I'd love to come down Sat AM and help ya get rolling.

ALL-STAR BBQ will be there there. Can't wait to see you all. Would somebody please hire B&B catering that weekend for a big job.

Just reading the rules and reg...I would like to do the backyard comp, I have a Ole Hickory Pit that uses propane/wood, and that is ok. Thanks in advance!

Just reading the rules and reg...I would like to do the backyard comp, I have a Ole Hickory Pit that uses propane/wood, and that is ok. Thanks in advance!

From the rules & regulations
6)​
Teams may cook on any grill they choose, such as propane, wood, or charcoal. (Yet we discourage
propane.) Electric heat sources are not allowed. Propane and electric starters are allowed.
7) Fires shall consist of wood, pellets or charcoal. No lighter fluids of any kind are allowed. Teams using
such items are subject to disqualification. All open fire pits must be approved by the local fire marshal.
Teams must maintain a five (5) foot safety clearance away from all smokers, grills, and/or approved

open fires.

We will be out there again this year. Looking forward to the new location. It sounds like our restaurant and team will be in 2 spaces? since we are vending out of one and cooking out of the other.

This is always a great contest, it looks like this will be our last cook of the year.

Good luck to everyone. I'm out....missed too many of the boys Saturday soccer games already.

Is the trick or trunk worth bringing the kids out for on Friday?

Saturday with Bloody Mary's would be nice. We plan to arrive around 6am ish.....

I plead the 5th on the brick tossing.

But 6am seems a bit early for a 2pm chicken turn in. I'm thinking we can sleep in a little more.

Good luck to everyone. I'm out....missed too many of the boys Saturday soccer games already.

Is the trick or trunk worth bringing the kids out for on Friday?

I have not seen the event flier for this year. In the past they had a booth decorating contest and many of the teams gave out candy in addition to the trunk or treat. There is a people's choice contest Friday night also...

Back