View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
plethoraofpinatas
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankerdaddy View Post
I'm looking at taking my smoked brisket and ribs to the local farmers market. I was hoping to get some advice on how to hold the meat and what portions to sell. My initial thoughts were to do the briskets overnight and take them off the morning of the market and sell them sliced by the pound, in sandwiches and whole. With the ribs I would most likely just put them on the morning of and sell them by the rack. Does anyone have any input on this strategy and any ideas on holding the meat at a good temp (I was thinking of just holding them in a second smoker)?
There are a ton of posts on here that discuss cooking off-site and holding meat for transport, but most of the advice can be distilled to some sort of coolering method: you should be able to hold the meat at temp for several hours either in a cambro or a cooler. In fact, it is desirable to rest the brisket before slicing. You wrap it in foil or butcher's paper and put it in a cooler that is filled with old blankets or towels to provide maximum insulation. A cambro does the same thing, but with grooves for stacking hotel pans or aluminum trays.

That said, I hope you have done the necessary research on selling food and you are properly permitted, insured, etc?

Coming soon! - Oyler 700
Lang 60 Deluxe
22.5" WSM (x2), 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTS
Char Griller Smoker Pro w/ SFB, reverse flow mod
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote