First Beer Can Chicken (Pron)

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been wanting to do a beer can chicken for a long time. With the garage sale purchase of a weber grill, I thought I'd give it a try. I got a 4.77lb all natual chicken. Washed it all down, and patted it dry. I took a knife and poked holes all over the skin so the flavors could get through to the meat. I rubbed a little EVOO all over it, then sprinkled some rub in. In the picture, you can see that I am also soaking some chunkes from my apricot tree in a glass of beer.
Before cook 1.JPG

I won a set of seasonings in a contest last fall, so I decided to use them on my bird.
Before cook 2.JPG

Start of my cook
Start Cook.JPG

I ran about 335 through the first hour of my cook. Here is my bird at the hour mark when I took the lid off ot rotate him so the breast is to the fire.
1st Hour.JPG

I let it go another hour, for a 2 hour total time. I checked him, and found that I did get him a little hotter than I really wanted it to get, (180 in the breast, and about 195 in the legs), but it was still pretty farken tasty! Here is the final product after I wrapped in foil to rest. Thanks for looking
Done.JPG

I did a 7 1/2 pounder on Mother's day with root beer and pulled at 165 in the breast and it came out really juicy and flavorful.

Love it! :thumb:

I got me a couple of THESE. They make things easy. Also easy to get the bird on and off without messing up the skin. The pan catches the juices too.

Looks great. Beer can chicken is on of my wife's favorites. Might have to make some this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.

Back