• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Oh yeah. We made sure we saved as much space for storage etc and placed it so that we could cook from the ground.

And just a small update on the electrical dilemma. The 15amp outlet will be replaced with a 20amp outlet and rewired with 12-2 (w/ ground). It will be a dedicated circuit. The breaker is a 20amp ground fault. The outlet will be about 16 inches away from the panel. This should make things go more smoothly (concerning time). Dad's an HVAC service tech and knew about the problems. Already planned on fixing them so we should be good to go this weekend. We should have a decent amount of progress to report this weekend. Stay in touch guys!

Good to hear. I think you'll be much happier not having to stop every couple of minutes!!! Looking forward to seeing the progress!!!

It certainly looks like a good build. The trailer mods look strong enuff to carry the load. I need to reference this build when I get to the firebox on mine. I'm still setting back funds for the build. I like the looks of yours. :thumb:

This is for you Mojo! A firebox update... It's almost finished! The door/vents and outer cover on the outer box is all that is left. We are using mineral board instead of a ceramic wool blanket..the mineral board is MUCH cheaper and still rated at 1600degrees..Our fires won't even get that hot so we saved some money and went with the mineral board. Here's where it's at so far:

FB01.jpg

FB02.jpg

FB03.jpg

FB04.jpg

FB05.jpg

FB06.jpg

FB07.jpg

FB10.jpg

FB11.jpg

FB12.jpg

FB13.jpg

There you have it...a nearly completed firebox.

That firebox made my heart race a little - you'll be able to cook a brisket with a match in that thing...well almost anyway.... :clap2:

where do you find that mineral board at? I might have to get me some of that!

From industrial insulators, guys that insulate boilers and the like. You could probably find someone in the phone book, look under insulation or insulators.

Okay..so we made a little progress today.. Hopefully this will be enough to hold everyone over until next weekend!

We took the trailer apart again to finish coating it with POR15. We are still going to paint everything, but we wanted to eliminate future rust issues.

Axle-1.jpg

PaintedAxle.jpg

This is a shot of the chamber standing upright just to show its length.

TallChamber.jpg

We got the trailer taped off so we could begin cutting the doors. Didn't have painter's tape and didn't want to buy it, so we used metal tape.

TapedChamber.jpg

Dad standing next to the trailer.

DadTrailer.jpg

A full frontal of the chamber.

FrontChamber.jpg

Here are a couple of close-up angle shots of the chamber.

ChamberRight-1.png

ChamberRight.jpg

Here are a few more shots of the nearly finished firebox. This is my favorite part so far.

NFFB03.jpg

NFFB02.jpg

NFFB.jpg

Hopefully, we will get the firebox mounted and maybe get some doors on..we are also going to be adding storage, a grill, and MAYBE a sink... I still want to add a stereo! We'll just have to wait and see how far we get.

Thanks for following, guys!

I want a box a lot like that for my Brazos Pit! The only thing is... I would like and actual apparatus INSIDE that I could place a few briskets or a Clod (especially a clod) in a strong steel cage, swing them in or out, lock the door tight and control the damper to where it was nearly airtight.

Can you imagine that... a clod started that way? Damn close to Lockhart. Remember when I say CLOD I am speaking of the 25-35 pounders. And I don't, screw clod up by cooking them like brisket and pulling the meat either.

Well, it's final. I am so gonna steal that firebox design :becky: Thanks for he update and look forward to the next one!

Thank you, thank you. Hopefully, I've got enough pics of the box for you. I try to include as many as possible. I can't wait to fire it up and see how long I can get a small load to burn.

as for the paint dampney coatings stove paint 270 black, thermolux. they are outta mass and its $37 per gal, shoot form body gun no thinning required

What?! Do you know what the heat resistance is rated to? That's ridiculously cheap! Does it come in glossy?

I want a box a lot like that for my Brazos Pit! The only thing is... I would like and actual apparatus INSIDE that I could place a few briskets or a Clod (especially a clod) in a strong steel cage, swing them in or out, lock the door tight and control the damper to where it was nearly airtight.

Can you imagine that... a clod started that way? Damn close to Lockhart. Remember when I say CLOD I am speaking of the 25-35 pounders. And I don't, screw clod up by cooking them like brisket and pulling the meat either.

You don't see a lot of clod cooks! That's a heavy duty hunk of meat right there! We considered adding an area to the topside of the box for this purpose but decided we'd go without this time. We'll probably be able to crank that chamber up to 5-600 without trouble but we won't likely do that often. The box will be ultra air tight. You're right, though; that would be a nice utility add-on to the box! Thanks.

Back