Standing rib roast suggestions?

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a six bone (bone cut and tied back on) rib roast I'd like to cook up this weekend. I bought a couple last time they were on sale (I think Easter) and wrapped and froze it. It appears to be in good shape with no freezer burn. :thumb:

I'd like to slow smoke it so the entire roast is done to a uniform pink, and then sear the outside for a nice crust. I plan on seasoning it with 3EYZ BBQ rub. Any and all suggestions as far as time and temp would be greatly appreciated... :becky:

Via countless emails, I have collected a bunch of information which appears on the prime rib how to page on my site for this very question. I use low pit temps too for the same reasons you mentioned, so I asked readers to send me their times and temps. Most of these were cooked on a BGE or Primo Oval, but it will put you in the ballpark. Where you see a range in pit temps, I had multiple responses for the same weight roast, but the cook times were about the same. (this was most likely due to the diameter of a particular roast, of mayby the pit temp drifted a little during the cook)

Be sure to allow for carry over temps while resting the roast. All of the times below are when the roasts came off the cooker.

4 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125°
5-1/2 pound roast - 230° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125°
6-3/4 pound bone-in roast - 250° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 125°
7 pound roast - 250° pit temp - 3 hours 40 minutes to reach 123°
7 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
8 pound roast - 250° - 275° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 122°
10 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120°
11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°
14 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
15 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127°

Via countless emails, I have collected a bunch of information which appears on the prime rib how to page on my site for this very question. I use low pit temps too for the same reasons you mentioned, so I asked readers to send me their times and temps. Most of these were cooked on a BGE or Primo Oval, but it will put you in the ballpark. Where you see a range in pit temps, I had multiple responses for the same weight roast, but the cook times were about the same. (this was most likely due to the diameter of a particular roast, of mayby the pit temp drifted a little during the cook)

Be sure to allow for carry over temps while resting the roast. All of the times below are when the roasts came off the cooker.

4 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125°
5-1/2 pound roast - 230° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125°
6-3/4 pound bone-in roast - 250° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 125°
7 pound roast - 250° pit temp - 3 hours 40 minutes to reach 123°
7 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
8 pound roast - 250° - 275° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 122°
10 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120°
11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°
14 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
15 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127°

WOW! Thank you very much! This really helps! :thumb:

I cook mine at a higher temp ~325 til 128 internal then pull foil and rest. It usually nails 135 on the climb. At the higher temp I get a really nice crusty surface and don't feel the need to sear. I also use a past made from evoo, minced garlic, minced rosemary, sea salt and pepper all ground up in a morter and pestle. Good stuff.

I have no idea about the times though cuz I measure by beers.

I really like standing rib roast cooked at 225F. That chart looks pretty good to me. I have found that 125F internal is too low for my family now, they seem to prefer my pulling at 135F. Of course, I don't do a reverse sear anymore.

I cook at 550 on one BGE for 20 minutes then switch to another BGE at 275 until 130-135. Always has worked for me and the crust is nice.

I use the same seasoning as Guerry, but use a lower temp cook like Landarc.

I really like standing rib roast cooked at 225F. That chart looks pretty good to me. I have found that 125F internal is too low for my family now, they seem to prefer my pulling at 135F. Of course, I don't do a reverse sear anymore.

Yeah, sometimes the end sear isn't needed, especially if you use a drum. But when I cook one rare I will end sear it jsut for the flavor burst.

7c5d8921.jpg

Another good thing about cooking them at barbecue temps is you will get a little smoke ring sometimes.​

IMG_0155a2.jpg

Al go to the recipe section and look up Phil of Poobah's prime rib recipe.

Thanks to all y'all... ! All the advice has been noted and I'll make sure to post the results when the fat Czervik has sung! :heh:

I generally cook at a lower temp for rib roasts ~225* and I use oak. Always there are questions about temperature and I just want to point out that the lower the temperature, the more uniform the roast will be. If you like a uniform doneness throughout, cook it low. The higher the temp, the more done the outside and redder the inside. There are some pics in this thread for comparison:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96828

This one is done at 225* (reverse sear) and you can see the pinkness goes nearly to the edge:

IMG_4578.jpg

This one (courtesy of Ron_L) was cooked at 275* and the edges are slightly more done:

IMG_4172.jpg

This one was cooked by Boshizzle at 325*:

picture.php

taken from this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105163
Notice that the outer segment is much more done than the inside. Every method is great, but you can see they produce a different product.

Thanks Gore... The end results of the 225 version that you posted is what I'm looking for.

Thanks to everyone else as well. :thumb:

Back