Saving "boil" broth.

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I often "need" seafood broth and usually don't have any on hand.

Well, I've got a shrimp boil coming up this weekend. In it is boil seasoning, hot sauce, lemon, garlic, sausage, corn, potatoes, shrimp, etc. You get the idea.

Why could the resulting broth, leftover from the boil, not be strained and used for a highly seasoned broth for things like cajun rice, etc.?

I usually toss a couple of gallons of this after a boil and it just doesn't make sense.

Opinions, please. :mrgreen:

No reason at all in my opinion. You can freeze it into cubes if you want and that way can take it out in small portions to add flavor to other dishes. It'll stay nice for at least a 6 months. We do this with chicken broth all the time.

Yeah, that's my thinking, too.
Thanks for the sanity check.

I make beef, chicken, and veggie stock pretty often. Just seems like I always forget to save the "stuff" for fish or seafood stock!!

I am really fond of Turkey broth.
Makes killer lima beans.

I put it into qt ZipLock bags.
Only about a half full or so. Probably about 3/4" or so thick.

Lay flat in a pan or cookie sheet (in case it springs a leak :-D) and freeze.

Then I put the frozen bags into a gallon ZipLock and label to keep them all together.

Works for me.

Also, I just bought a case of those pt freezer jars for my beans. Work wonderful. May use those for broth/stock in the future.

TIM

Last edited:
You could also put the pot back on the fire after you remove everything for the "boil" meal; to reduce the volume and concentrate the flavors. Then bag or put in containers and freeze.

For safety's sake, make sure you bring the frozen to a full boil for a few minutes when you use it next time.

Chris

I do that exact thing with the leftover water from a seafood boil, i put it into small containers, about 2 cups each and freeze them. They are great used for rice and any other thing you need seasoned water for.

I do that exact thing with the leftover water from a seafood boil, i put it into small containers, about 2 cups each and freeze them. They are great used for rice and any other thing you need seasoned water for.

That's what I'm thinking: a couple of cups each. I feel some seafood gumbo coming on not too long after this weekend's boil! :cool:

Back