smoking cheese

P

purplestarrider

I have recently come to aquire a huge bucket of really good fresh mozzarella cheese. I was thinking I might want to try and smoke some of it. any tips on what i should do or stay away from??

Use a light flavored wood like apple wood and like Kevin said go light with the smoke. Also try to let the cheese set for at least a day after smoking before eating.

I smoke a lot of cheese using a cold smoker that has a tin can half filled with apple wood chips with a cheap soldering iron to get the chips smoldering.

Use a light flavored wood like apple wood and like Kevin said go light with the smoke. Also try to let the cheese set for at least a day after smoking before eating.

I smoke a lot of cheese using a cold smoker that has a tin can half filled with apple wood chips with a cheap soldering iron to get the chips smoldering.

interesting. I would love to hear more about what you do and how you set it up. anything and everything youd be willing to share
:help:

Try smoking butter. Its awesome, and it is good practice for hitting the cold smoke temps.

Hard to do in the summer though.

I use the ProQ Cold Smoke Generator with peach or apple dust. Works great. I agree with Guerry on the resting. After I smoke cheese it gets sealed up tight and in the fridge for two weeks before eating.

How I do it...

as it turns out, i'm cold smokin as we speak, even though it's a little too warm. Tryin to smoke frozen blocks just to see what i get. I also use the veggie can w the soldering iron in my 18.5 weber. above that is the grate. above that is a 17 in pizza pan w ice. above that is the grate i set the cheese on. typically i use cherry & pecan. today i'm using alder & pecan.
indeed let it rest vac sealed for at least a day. mine have never made it tol the 2 wk mark. if u don't have aq vac sealer, try just wraping it tightly in plastic wrap then put it in a zip-lock.

Awsome guys i am so excited. now i am going to have to order a ProQ Cold Smoke Generator .

What I do is:

#1 chunk the cheese

#2 Wrap it in cheese cloth (keeps it clean is it should happen to contact the side of the
smoker

#3 Put 6-10 lit briquets at the rear of the BKSD firebox, with a handfull of alder chips..

#4 Wait for the smoker to draw, and for 'most' of the white smoke to disappear

#5 Hang the cheese

#6 Keep the temperature low...under 90*..lower is better

#7 remove the cheese when the coals have had it

#8 remove the cheese cloth

#9 place the cheese in plastic bags and refrigerate...don't judge the taste until at least
24 hrs later (tasting it warm won't give you any idea whatsoever of what the cheese
will taste like when you actually sit down to eat it.

Notes...this freezes well, and less smoke is more, use mild wood (I use alder)...and keep the temp. low..under 90*, the colder, the better...the longer the cheese rests, the better the flavor.

Good luck!

i am happy 2 report that smoking frozen blocks ofcheese nets the desired results duringthe heat of the summer. 2 da i used apple & alder. Earlier i said itj was pecan & alder. Smoked using the tin can \ soldering iron method. EAZY PEAZY. Stupid simple!

i am happy 2 report that smoking frozen blocks ofcheese nets the desired results duringthe heat of the summer. 2 da i used apple & alder. Earlier i said itj was pecan & alder. Smoked using the tin can \ soldering iron method. EAZY PEAZY. Stupid simple!
so glad to hear that it turned out.

I have recently come to aquire a huge bucket of really good fresh mozzarella cheese. I was thinking I might want to try and smoke some of it. any tips on what i should do or stay away from??

If it really is "fresh" mozzarella, are you talking about the kind that's usually submerged in brine? I've tried smoking that once and the main issue was getting it kinda dry so you don't get a smudgy texture/flavor. That's the best I can describe it. Most other cheeses are dry to start with. If you've fooled with making bacon, the books describe air drying it to make a pellicle (surface drying). It's just a lot harder to do with the fresh cheese b/c it's mostly water.

If it really is "fresh" mozzarella, are you talking about the kind that's usually submerged in brine? I've tried smoking that once and the main issue was getting it kinda dry so you don't get a smudgy texture/flavor. That's the best I can describe it. Most other cheeses are dry to start with. If you've fooled with making bacon, the books describe air drying it to make a pellicle (surface drying). It's just a lot harder to do with the fresh cheese b/c it's mostly water.
Yeah that is what i am talking about. It is still in the bucket of liquid and i figured that i would have to let it sit out and dry. am i correct or should i just not do it at all???

I am also clod smoking on a large big green egg right now. Cheese is ready to come off in about 15min and temp hasn't been above 95. Wish me luck!

Hey Grill Sergeant,
How was the texture of the cheese after having been frozen? I've tried freezing cheese b4 and it's ended up with a odd grainy texture. What type of cheese did you use?

Back