Beef Jerky US help

MCT

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Has anyone got any tips on how to keep the temps low without putting the coals out? I have just finished my first UDS build and am pretty new to bbqing.

Leaving just one hole at the bottom open I am sitting at about 235f which is perfect for ribs, but I believe I need temps of about 150 for jerky. I'm worried if I close it down anymore I'll put the coals out.

Also if you don't mind me asking, Am I sposed to have the holes on the weber lid open during a cook?

Thanks, this sort of bbqing isn't real common here in Australia, but I'm hooked on it!

Jerky on a drum would be tough. A super small fire that you need to tend constantly would be about the only way to do it. Unless you made up a heat deflector of some sort.

Other drum guys might know better.

Seconded no jerky on the drum. When you make jerky - you actually don't need heat at all. I've used 4 air filters, 2 bunjee cords, and a box fan to make some jerky - and it takes about 10 hours or so... See Alton Brown's show... :grin:

P.S. Exhaust on top of drum should always be open.

Hey there MCT. I'm from Melbourne!

I just posted this thread on Jerky here.

The guys are right so far. A UDS won't give you a low enough temp, but an offset will.

At least you beat me to building a UDS. Congratulations. Now I cannot claim to be the first in Australia when I finally get around to it.

Stick around though, and buy a subscription. I'd love to have more Aussie brothers in the forum with me!

Cheers!

Bill

Hey! Good to see I'm not the only aussie here.

I know of a few guys from the aussie home brewer forum that have built an UDS, so I can't lay claim to be the first, I got the idea from them.

Well I gave the beef jerky a shot on the UDS and I must say it was an outstanding success!

Somehow managed to keep temps at about 145f for about 4 hours and and the jerky was completely dehydrated and chewy.

Only trouble is it's dissappearing by the second.
05062010117.jpg

Cranked up the temps just now and have a beer can chicken going on for dinner.

The cut I used was topside that was already cut into "snitzel" by the butcher. It was really lean, thin and cheap.

It was marinated overnight in equal parts soy and worcestershire sauce, with 1 tablespoon of each garlic powder, ginger powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and lots of black pepper for 1/2 kg of lean topside.

It really turned out effing awesome, batch #2 goes on tomorrow with the recipe adjusted to 2/3 soy 1/3 worcester.

Nice jerky!

It is difficult to keep a drum under 140 for that long of a time but it isn't impossible. The only almost impossible part is trying to burn clean wood at that low of temp. The next time I do it I will be skipping any wood and just use briquettes.

I kept these on for 10 hours starting at 90 degrees and ending at 145 degrees. The only thing wrong was the recipe. :razz:

Jerky5.JPG

I've never had any prob doing jerky in the drum, in fact I prefer that more than a dehydrator. I did some the other day and it held a steady 145 for 8 hrs. I've got 2 deflectors and that makes a difference I think. I only light a few pieces of lump and dump and have good results that way. I like to hang mine through the grate w/ tooth picks.

Back