Not sure how to price this?????

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What's up folks, got a call about personal chef services. This gentlemen called me and said while surfing the web he came across my web site, and was doing a fundraiser auction bbq. This has gone on for the past 39 yrs. He stated that he wanted to hire me as a personal chef to cook 200 rib eye steaks and thats all I would be doing. I do have the capacity to do this type of job and was wondering what I should charge for this? keep in mind All the steaks are donated from a meat co.I would only be using my grills, mesquite wood and driving time to san bernadino.

Here is the kicker to the story they are holding an auction befor everyone eats. And he stated to me that he wanted the fire started 10 min befor the event was to conclude, because he did not want the smell of the bbq to distract people from the live auction. His thinking is if people see the food cooking ahead of time they will get in line for food early, and not be at the auction. I stated to him that I needed to start much earlier in order to service that many guests. (should this weigh into the price?) The event is not until June and I explained to him I was going on a cruise for a week to puerto vallarta and we would discuss price when I got back in town. This of course gives me a chance to talk to my fellow brethren what do you folks think?

Thanks in advance I will be back to the forum in a week:-D

Bill D.

What's up folks, got a call about personal chef services. This gentlemen called me and said while surfing the web he came across my web site, and was doing a fundraiser auction bbq. This has gone on for the past 39 yrs. He stated that he wanted to hire me as a personal chef to cook 200 rib eye steaks and thats all I would be doing. I do have the capacity to do this type of job and was wondering what I should charge for this? keep in mind All the steaks are donated from a meat co.I would only be using my grills, mesquite wood and driving time to san bernadino.

Here is the kicker to the story they are holding an auction befor everyone eats. And he stated to me that he wanted the fire started 10 min befor the event was to conclude, because he did not want the smell of the bbq to distract people from the live auction. His thinking is if people see the food cooking ahead of time they will get in line for food early, and not be at the auction. I stated to him that I needed to start much earlier in order to service that many guests. (should this weigh into the price?) The event is not until June and I explained to him I was going on a cruise for a week to puerto vallarta and we would discuss price when I got back in town. This of course gives me a chance to talk to my fellow brethren what do you folks think?

Thanks in advance I will be back to the forum in a week:-D

Bill D.

First of all, YOU need to set the ground rules with the gentleman. You would never tell him how to run his auction, so seems silly he would tell you how to cook(?)

200 Rib Eyes - What happened to the guy who did this last year? What equipment will you use this year? How many others to help you? How large are the steaks? How will they be stored prior to cooking? (Think liability and quality here) How will they be held for service? How will they be served? By whom? What do you do about the inevitable requests for Rare, Med Rare, Medium, Well Done?

For me, an hour to get to San Berdoo, 45 minutes set up, an hour to get the fire right, an hour cooking time, hour of clean up, hour to drive home - Easily a 6 hour day, plus your helpers.

Personally, I stay away from jobs like this due to all the variables that are out of my control. Liability issues and the chance for too many things to get sideways are good reasons to avoid this. Proceed with caution Bill...

First of all, YOU need to set the ground rules with the gentleman. You would never tell him how to run his auction, so seems silly he would tell you how to cook(?)

200 Rib Eyes - What happened to the guy who did this last year? What equipment will you use this year? How many others to help you? How large are the steaks? How will they be stored prior to cooking? (Think liability and quality here) How will they be held for service? How will they be served? By whom? What do you do about the inevitable requests for Rare, Med Rare, Medium, Well Done?

For me, an hour to get to San Berdoo, 45 minutes set up, an hour to get the fire right, an hour cooking time, hour of clean up, hour to drive home - Easily a 6 hour day, plus your helpers.

Personally, I stay away from jobs like this due to all the variables that are out of my control. Liability issues and the chance for too many things to get sideways are good reasons to avoid this. Proceed with caution Bill...

In the words of one of my favorite movies...

"So let it be written...so let it be done"

I'd listen to Chris.

Chris I had a feeling you would give me this advice:-D I guess I allready knew the answer you are 100% correct this sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I think I will pass or should I quote him an outrageous price and see if he bites. just kidding LOL

Back