Bone is standing rib roast help!

moocow

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am wanting to make a bone in standing rib roast for Christmas eve with my family, Problem is I have know Idea how to do it:eek: I want to use my Weber kettle with my Smokinator mod. as the big Smoker is locked up in the comp trailer. Please give me all of the advise you can including seasonings, time, temp, etc. I just want to impress everyone. Pics would help. Thanks in advance.

Here is one I did a few months back. I rubbed with a mixture of The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style & Original Rub. Smoked at 250 ish. It cooked really fast like 1 hour per pound. I pulled it at 125 internal and let rest for 20 minutes or so. I don't have any pictures of it cut but hope this helps anyway.

CIMG0936.jpg

CIMG0938.jpg

CIMG0961.jpg

CIMG0965.jpg

Done-1.jpg

As long as you do it on the kettle you can't go wrong. Check the Webernation web site, there is a video in there of the host doing a prime rib on the kettle. It's easy once you know what to do. I used to do a prime rib on the weber just for kicks now I HAVE TO do it or everybody wants to know why. I love it. ;)

Pooh's Prime Rib Recipe will work just fine for that I do believe...

the first thing i do with these puppies is hang it in the fridge covered for 2 days to drain all the blood out then proceed on your said course.

I did one in the (GASP!) oven a couple days ago after reviewing dozens of methods online. The one thing that stood out to me was if you do it slowly (225*ish) it will be the same level of "doneness" throughout, if you use the hot start method (475* for 15 min, finish at 350*) it will be cooked at a range of doneness throughout. In short, if your family all likes rare, med. rare, etc. go slow, if not, hot start might be better. I used the hot start method with a simple rub of kosher salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a little ground chipotle. Came out great, medium outside (for Mrs. Woody) med. rare in the center for me. Don't know how well that translates to your Weber, but seems like it should work fine...?

As long as you do it on the kettle you can't go wrong. Check the Webernation web site, there is a video in there of the host doing a prime rib on the kettle. It's easy once you know what to do. I used to do a prime rib on the weber just for kicks now I HAVE TO do it or everybody wants to know why. I love it. ;)[/QUOT

I agree..great videos by Jamie Purviance, he does a great job on the weber nation videos...its great to see the process, Esp the prime Rib, he keeps it simple method....salt/pepper/garlic...not all this other crazy stuff to add to the meat..its Prime rib...it speaks for itself. YUM!

I don't like a lot of smoke on Prime Rib. You may want to consider leaving out the Smokenator. Set the kettle up for indirect and cook the roast until it is 125-ish internal and let it rest for 30 minutes or so before carving. For seasoning I lie either Montreal Steak Seasoning or I make a paste out of EVOO, garlic, fresh rosemary and kosher salt.

I am a purist when it comes to steaks, especially ribeyes. Rub it with olive oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper. That is all you need.

Any others do it this way? If so, what is the reasoning?

Cliff Claven Mod: The red stuff in meat is actually not blood. Blood is contained within the vascular system (veins) and is drained from the animal when it is slaughtered. The red stuff is actually called sarcoplasm (water+myoglobin and hemoglobin). It's the fluid that carries nutrients from the blood to the muscle tissue and is also very nutritious for humans. Don't be afraid, it's what makes meat "juicy"!

Last edited:
Offset, high heat 400+, pull at 120 internal as there is residual cooking at high heat.

Rub - what taste do you want? BBQ - then dizzy pig cowlick or Slabs beef. More traditional - salt, pepper, garlic, onion and rosemary and thyme. Also can stud it with Garlic cloves.

Aging by hanging in the fridge - be careful. The meat should actually be covered with a clean dry cotton towell and the fridge must be below 37F and the door should not be opened during the aging. Dry aging can be very dangerous. If you buy in cryovac from Sams see if you can get the packing date on the case. Then you can wet age it. Of course it takes 35-49 days of aging so if you buy meat packed a week ago there's a significant lead time. Never wet age beef that's been repackaged.

Last edited:
I did one for turkey day and I really liked it and so did my guests. Check out my thread here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73339 I believe there might be a link to the recipe I used.:roll:

Pictures below.

DSCF0002-9.jpg

DSCF0016-7.jpg

DSCF0025-5.jpg

I do agree that a simple cook like the one Jamie did on WN works just fine as well. I have also done them in the oven. One way that I found that works pretty good is to bring you oven up as high as it will go like 450-500* and then shut the oven off. Here is one method I have used in the past. If you like your meat less done reduce the amount of time at 500*. Also when the resting time is done if you turn the oven back on only heat to the correct temp for your liking. Here is a cut and paste of what I have used in the past. Vince

Easy Prime Rib

1. Get a prime rib roast at your supermarket.
It's usually labeled bone-in ribeye roast. 2. Mix up equal parts of onion salt, seasoned salt, and garlic powder.
Approx 1/4 cup total. 3. Pat the salt mixture on both ends and the fat side of the roast.
The salt may not stick as well on the fat side. Don't worry about it. 4. Pre-heat oven as high as it will go. Usually 500 degrees but not broil. 5. Stick the roast in a dutch oven preferably on a small rack that will
lift it off the bottom. Bone side down (fat side up). Get a meat
thermometer and stick it in the middle of the roast. 6. Cook the roast in the oven for 5-6 minutes per pound
and then shut the oven off.
DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH. 7. After two hours take it out and check the temp.
If its 140 degrees it's perfect.
If it's cooler, put it back in the oven at 375 degrees until it hits 140 degrees. 8. This procedure will yield a PERFECT MEDIUM RARE PRIME RIB.
Don't ask me how to do medium or well done because cooking
prime rib roast past medium rare is a felony. 9. Get a package of Au Jus mix in the spice section of your supermarket
and make following directions. 10. INVITE ME OVER FOR DINNER.

I did one in the (GASP!) oven a couple days ago after reviewing dozens of methods online. The one thing that stood out to me was if you do it slowly (225*ish) it will be the same level of "doneness" throughout, if you use the hot start method (475* for 15 min, finish at 350*) it will be cooked at a range of doneness throughout. In short, if your family all likes rare, med. rare, etc. go slow, if not, hot start might be better. I used the hot start method with a simple rub of kosher salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a little ground chipotle. Came out great, medium outside (for Mrs. Woody) med. rare in the center for me. Don't know how well that translates to your Weber, but seems like it should work fine...?

+1 on the quick start method, salt, peper, onion powder, garlic powder. I also chime the bone about 3/4 the way through and season between the bone and meat. Adds a lot of flavor.

"Aging by hanging in the fridge - be careful. The meat should actually be covered with a clean dry cotton towell and the fridge must be below 137F :eek::eek: and the door should not be opened during the aging."

Crikey brother Ford! I never set my fridge above 99* :wink:

"Aging by hanging in the fridge - be careful. The meat should actually be covered with a clean dry cotton towell and the fridge must be below 137F :eek::eek: and the door should not be opened during the aging."

Crikey brother Ford! I never set my fridge above 99* :wink:
That might be good for the prime rib but not so good for your diary products.:sad: Well unless you like cottage cheese in a gallon jug!

I don't like a lot of smoke on Prime Rib. You may want to consider leaving out the Smokenator. Set the kettle up for indirect and cook the roast until it is 125-ish internal and let it rest for 30 minutes or so before carving. For seasoning I lie either Montreal Steak Seasoning or I make a paste out of EVOO, garlic, fresh rosemary and kosher salt.

Ron, thats almost like the one I do, try add some creamy horsraddish to that mix, and ground black pepper, mmmm mmmmm good!

roy

Back