View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Charcoal basket would be your friend.

Get a GOOD bed of coals down while getting the pit nice n hot.
Put the turkeys on the bottom right shelf and try to go with a seasoned stick every 45 mins. Should be to temp in 3ish hrs? Shouldn't be overly smokey that way.
YMMV
I use a mix of lump and shag-bark hickory... If you don't have a basket, put a larger log on each side of the fire grate to keep the lump for falling off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Apple is on the mild side, you should be ok. Place the bird in a pan.That may defer some of the smoke and it saves the drippings. I read somewhere, wraping in cheesecloth and buttering helps too, but I've never tried it.
That's one of the keys!!! Another trick is to line the bottom with whole carrots and celery (leave some space between each for the juice). This acts both as a rack to keep the bird out of the juices but also adds GREAT flavor to any gravy you make! Keep an eye on the level of juice you find in the bottom of the pan. I find that I need to remove some of it from time to time. This juice goes into the same pot I'm cooking down my giblets... It's far better than adding water... As Emeral said so well, "I don't know where you get your water, but mine don't come seasoned!"

I don't like to wrap my bird with cheese cloth.. Just me but I've never had a reason to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq ron View Post
I've done a turkey breast on my Lang with just oak and hickory but never had to much smoke flavor. just rubbed it and put it on at 275 till it was done turned out great
I like to rub the turkeys with a mixture of fresh Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Salt, Pepper, mixed with Olive Oil. Once you've rinsed off and out the bird, rub the inside of the cavity with this mix and then most importantly, rub UNDER the skin with the mix. This puts the seasonings on the meat and not just on the skin. You can rub some on the skin too, it doesn't hurt anything, in fact I do it, just make sure you get it under the skin.

I also stuff the inside of the cavity with quartered Onions, Granny Smith Apples, and a stick or two of Cinnamon. I cook this mix in the microwave for about 10 minutes and then stuff the bird with this hot mixture. It seem to add more flavor and moisture to the bird. The fact that the inside has some hot stuff in it also seems to get the bird to cook more evenly. I should note that this is the only stuffing that sees the inside of my bird. I DO NOT cook turkeys with bread stuffing in it (Thank you AB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq View Post
Turkey in a Lang. Need I say more?
Gotta love the Lang!!! The 'Mistress' has plans to do 4 of them and it looks like 'Ramona' may be getting one of her own this year!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote