Grill Purchase Advice.

MJE9

Reaction score
Good morning! A few buddies (there will be 3 of us total) and I are going camping in late May. We intend to only eat things that have hooves or gills.
I don't want to bring my OT-Silver because I don't want to take it apart (and this is a great chance to add to my collection).

My question... Should I go with the standard Smokey Joe? If so, gold or silver? Or the Jumbo Joe?

I appreciate all of your thoughts...

Best... MJE

I would suggest the Jumbo Joe as it is a 18.5in grate. Much more cooking area but same portability as the regular smokey joe.

If the JJ has the same height as a Smokey Joe Platinum it'll sit taller than a regular SJ, but that's really only an issue if it's going to be hauled in a car trunk and I'm guessing you'll be driving an SUV/truck or pulling a trailer.

Chicken- Actually I will be putting it all in my Honda Accord! Never doubt an Accord!! Great point about the height... Thanks.

I'll stick my vote in for none of the above. Go with a Weber Go-Anywhere! Gives you the option to do indirect cooking.

If I had to pick from your choices, I'd say a jumbo Joe. Mostly since you can set up indirect on it too with lightly more room for food.

I'll stick my vote in for none of the above. Go with a Weber Go-Anywhere! Gives you the option to do indirect cooking.

If I had to pick from your choices, I'd say a jumbo Joe. Mostly since you can set up indirect on it too with lightly more room for food.

Um, the WGA IS one of the above...:becky:

I had the perception that people had trouble keeping WGAs lit/hot? Is that inaccurate?

Put trailer hitch on Accord. Buy this.

bbq-concession-shack-trailer.jpg

The WGA is the was to go I think. It saves on fuel, easy to store and carry and a great overall performer. :thumb:

Well... This whole WGA idea has muddied my water! I hadn't considered it... It sounds like its a better cooker than the SJ or JJ?

WGA is just a diff cooker, not better or worse. Depends what u want to cook and how much. SJ is a great cooker for a couple people. Can make a great meal for 3-4. You can also turn it into a Mini WSM if u want to smoke. WGA would be better for indirect. IMHO

Yeah, it'd be a tossup. If you think you'd be interested in making a mini wsm some day, get the sj. If not, get the WGA.

Heck, I've even made some good stuff using just a grate over two small logs with fire coals in between.

I would suggest the Jumbo Joe as it is a 18.5in grate. Much more cooking area but same portability as the regular smokey joe.

I agree more cook space than a WGA as well.

I have a SJG and a SJP, and do a lot of camping. Which one I take depends on how much food I have to cook at one time.

One other nice thing about a SJG is that you can make a portable mini WSM -- something I also take camping most of the time.

As for the SJS, it doesn't travel as well as a gold, and doesn't make as good of a mini WSM.

CD

Back