Need New smoker

Get a wsm and an IQ110 temp controller!
Chris

23f2e464be8e58a3508dd7a3cc0d98a0.jpg

I just discovered this forum a week ago and now looking for a new smoker. Im in the Pittsburgh area and can't find a drum to build my own so what is the best for under $400.00?

Be patient, search CL and see what's available. Otherwise, for $400 I'd get a 22.5 WSM (if you need the size, if not, 18.5).

For $400 and under I'd go with a WSM if I were you. Just make sure to buy the size that fits your needs. I bought a new 22.5 WSM a couple years ago and had it for 6 months before selling it on Craigslist. The thing was just way too darn big for what I used it for. Either way you can't go wrong with a WSM. It's the Waylon Jennings of smokers.

I'd have to agree with going with a WSM. Or a 22" Weber kettle with a Cajun Bandit Conversion Kit. The both rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While a WSM is a good way to go, consider a UDS and a weber one touch gold!
A Weber Smokey Mountain will set you back @ $400 before tax.
A UDS from between $100 -$200 depending how fancy you go.
A Weber One Touch Gold will run $149 before tax
Having both the UDS and OTG will give you smoking, grilling, and many other options at your disposal to amaze your family and friends.
It provides you with ready to go cooking with the OTS while you build your UDS.

I will apologize in advance as you will collect many more smokers as you gain proficiency in the art. Just the nature of the beast!

Welcome and good luck!

WSM is dead reliable for temp control. Personally, I don't understand why people bother to put electronic temp controllers on these.

Here's what I did the last time I cooked a butt:

- threw some coals on minion-style at 10:30 pm, took best guess at intake adjustment. Went back to bed, set alarm for midnight
- woke up, tweaked wsm because it was running 25 degrees warmer than I wanted
- prepped butt and put on grill, stayed up for 1/2 hour to make sure temp was at 250 -275,
- back to bed, didn't check again until 6am. No suprise that the temp is exactly where I left it.
- had to take my daughter to preschool, so I left the WSM unattended from 8am to 12:30
- Once again, the temp was exactly at 250F
- I didn't make a single adjustment for 12 hours

I would suggest a "Ben Lang" reverse flow, offset, stick burner. We use ours every week. Check him out at www.pigroast.com

If there's a pit on the Lang site for $400.00, please let me know so I can order one today.

The WSM is right at 400.00. It is usually available in specialty stores like Ace Hardware or Local HW stores. Not in the big box HW stores. The WSM Mini can be built for around $70.00 if everything is new. Using Craigslist and/or clearance priced Weber Smokey Joe's I built one for about 50.00. It will cook a 10 lb Pork butt or a few half rack of ribs or a small brisket if you are creative. You could cook for ten using 2 WSM minis.

My 18.5" WSM and Maverick 732 (temp sensor) would be under $400 and everything you need. I think you could cook for 10 in it easily. unless they each want their own brisket.

NEED a new smoker or WANT a new smoker???:razz:

I too am on the WSM band wagon - great product for the price.

If there's a pit on the Lang site for $400.00, please let me know so I can order one today.

I'll take two please....

Be patient and keep an eye out on CL. I ended up with a Good-one Open Range for $600, and could of had a slightly more used one for $500.

David

Yep. Another vote for a wsm. Go ahead and get the big one if you think you might need it.

Back