Thread: the darkness
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
luberconn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Lou
Default the darkness

i am new to this forum and smoking in general. i just got my first smoker this past january. i got hooked by watching some pitmasters on tv and then some reading on the internet. anyhow, i picked up a cheap Char-Broil Double Chef and have used it 4 times now. i have been pretty satisfied with just about everything i've made (ribs, whole chicken, pork butt), but i am NOT getting the dark bark that i've seen on videos and tv. mine is just dark in a few spots but mostly reddish and it looks like the rubs i use havent "carmelized" as they seem to do in the videos. is it because my smoker isnt doing its job? is it the sugar content in the rubs? or is it because im a huge noob salad?

my smoker

my very first cook. some baby backs and a whole chicken. both just have weber chick n rib seasoning.

my first boston butt. the discoloration is where i stuck the probe and the juices leaked.

my last butt done this past weekend. used some bone suckin seasoning and some pork rub from the local meat market.