• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Butt Pains

swinn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok Brethren, need some advice. I am cooking 6 pork butts today and have had the worst time ever keeping temps up. This is by far the biggest cook I have done on my Bandera. I am using "Best of the West" limp charcoal and pecan wood. It's not a terribly windy day or cold out. Why am I fighting this so bad? Is it just that much meat crammed into the smoker?

Airflow is the likely culprit.

Make sure the meat is not blocking the airflow with an overloaded shelf or being up against the exhaust.

Bandera needs to breathe 8)

Also, check that the meat is not real close to the temp monitor.
I assume you are using something other than the door thermometer??
I also assume you have a couple of inches under your fuel grate for incoming air??

Good Luck

TIM

Like The Kapn says, make sure you have airflow. Also, don't just count on the therms - hold your hand over the exhaust & see how hot it feels.

a crowded cooker will slightly drop temperatures until the cooker catches up and stabilizes temperatures.

Make sure your exhaust is fully open and control the Bandera with intake, more air means hotter burn.

^+1 ... as "The Kapn" said make sure the meat isn't blocking exhausts or intakes. Low airflow means low heat....

Typically when running a cooker at full capacity I bring the temperature +20 degrees hotter, add the meat and then throttle down as the cooker comes up to proper temperature...

after you smoke the meat for 4 hours wrap them in foil they will heat up and cook real good.

Airflow was the main culprit, I spaced out the meat a little better and my temps came up. Plus the door thermometer probe was sticking in the side of a butt. There will be PRON later

Back