type of wood to use

2uptown

last year i tried to smoke a turkey but it came out to smokey. what type of wood is best for a really light smoke?

last year i tried to smoke a turkey but it came out to smokey. what type of wood is best for a really light smoke?

What type of wood did you use?

Your answer may be to use less wood, Grasshopper :biggrin:

My preference however is peeecaan!

What type of wood did you use?

I prefer fruit woods mostly. Usually a 75% fruit to 25% hickory blend.

I'd give some thought to the "to much smoke" theory.

Many people think that if a little smoke is good-----A lot of smoke must be better. If the smoke coming out of the smoker is gray colored and smells awesome-----the meat will be awesome. If the smoker is belching thick black smoke that does not smell appetizing----then the meat willl be like licking an ashtray.

I use mostly oak---because I use a lot of it and that is what grows here. I love using fruit wood and get all of the apple I can get. I also use pecan.

I have a stick burner smoker going every weekday from 7 AM until 7 PM---so my I go thru a lot of wood.

To much smoke? Or not the right kind of smoke?
What did the smoke look like, even the lightest smoke flavor, like pear, would give you a over smoked bitter taste if it was big white billowy smoke. I doubt "to much" smoke came fromthe type of wood. We all have done it at some point, but more smoke is not good.

Apple gives a very light flavor. But too smokey is relative. Less wood or fuel and a cleaner burn would give you less smokiness, even using something like hickory. Also older wood, if you have a variation of aged wood available to you, will give less smokiness as well since it will burn faster.

Apple wood is about the mildest. You can use the harshest (mesquite) and still get great results. It's all about airflow as well as amount of smoking wood. What are you cooking on? Temp? Do you have sufficient airflow? More info is needed.

My first choice is Pecan...second would be Apple. I always let my smoke calm down before putting on the meat...when I see the "thin blue" after the "thick white"...that's when I know it's time! :p

Cherry. It gives the skin a nice, red color.

Every tried just using lump and not additional wood. If you don't want a specific or strong flavor you might try just the smoke from the charcoal.

Preheat your wood before putting it in your firebox. This will cut down on the white, bitter smoke. If you drop a cold chunk of wood in the fire, it takes energy from the fire to bring the new chunk up to temp before it burns. Most of us lay the next stick on top of the firebox to heat up before chucking it in.

I use hickory on a stick smoker it not the wood it how well the oxygen /fuel ratio is need good air intake and keep the exhaust wide open. Also preburn or preheat your wood also remember free wood is good also

Back