Lotta Bull Cooking Class - Lynchburg, TN

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Anyone seen this or planning to attend? Looks like Randy and I will be hitching up my camper to drive to Lynchburg to attend. This is Randy's birthday present from his wife, Sandy.

Arlie, hope we can hook up with you while in the general area of Nashville.

http://www.lottabullbbq.com/Classes.htm

Join Mike Davis as he guides you through the proper techniques for preparing, cooking, and presenting your best product in this "hands on" session. This is a “technique only” class for the serious cooker, participating in competitions sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. This class will not be about how to setup a kitchen or a wash station . . . you already know all that . . . and it is not a recipe class. It is "how to" class designed to give your barbeque an edge over the competition and that little something extra you've been missing. Following the schedule of a real cook-off, the class begins with preps on FRIDAY and ends with the turn-in on SATURDAY. You’ll learn the "how's" and "why's" behind Mike's award-winning cooking techniques and the secrets behind Debbie's presentation.
This class is about consistency, focusing on all 4 meats (Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork, & Beef Brisket) at one time. Mike will do all of the cooking, leaving you more time to observe and practice the prep method once you've seen it, but the meat you prep will get cooked so as not to waste it.

I would love to go but that 500 bucks would eat in to my comp fund.

Todd did you say you were doing Sugar Creek? I sighed up for my first event of the year.

SP said:
I would love to go but that 500 bucks would eat in to my comp fund.

Todd did you say you were doing Sugar Creek? I sighed up for my first event of the year.

Yup. We'll be at Sugar Creek. I think Marshall is the week before. That will be our first comp.

The $500 is a lot of money. Both of our wives really pushed us to go... together. First Randy's and then mine. Randy turns the big 50 on March 2, so its a big gift for a big birthday.

I guess if I can't make Dr BBQ's class in Long Island... Mike Davis is the next best thing. :wink:

Have a great time and learn a lot...

Is Randy's wife paying for you too??If so, sure is a nice birthday present... Maybe she'll be OK with inviting a few more to the party !!:icon_blush: :biggrin: )

MilitantSquatter said:
Have a great time and learn a lot...

Is Randy's wife paying for you too??If so, sure is a nice birthday present... Maybe she'll be OK with inviting a few more to the party !!:icon_blush: :biggrin: )

I hope there will be other Brethren there.

Plowboy said:
Anyone seen this or planning to attend? Looks like Randy and I will be hitching up my camper to drive to Lynchburg to attend. This is Randy's birthday present from his wife, Sandy.

Arlie, hope we can hook up with you while in the general area of Nashville.

http://www.lottabullbbq.com/Classes.htm

Join Mike Davis as he guides you through the proper techniques for preparing, cooking, and presenting your best product in this "hands on" session. This is a “technique only” class for the serious cooker, participating in competitions sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. This class will not be about how to setup a kitchen or a wash station . . . you already know all that . . . and it is not a recipe class. It is "how to" class designed to give your barbeque an edge over the competition and that little something extra you've been missing. Following the schedule of a real cook-off, the class begins with preps on FRIDAY and ends with the turn-in on SATURDAY. You’ll learn the "how's" and "why's" behind Mike's award-winning cooking techniques and the secrets behind Debbie's presentation.
This class is about consistency, focusing on all 4 meats (Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork, & Beef Brisket) at one time. Mike will do all of the cooking, leaving you more time to observe and practice the prep method once you've seen it, but the meat you prep will get cooked so as not to waste it.

Hope you all have a good time..Don't know why someone would pay 500.00 for something like that but to each his own. We thought you said it was the year of the Plowboy after cooking with Rucker why do you need to go back to school??????

Don't know why someone would pay 500.00 for something like that but to each his own.

That seems to be about the going rate for these type of classes. Plus who out there is hotter than Mike Davis! One GC walk more than pays for it!!! Wish i could be there. Have fun everyone!

Bigjim4x said:
That seems to be about the going rate for these type of classes. Plus who out there is hotter than Mike Davis! One GC walk more than pays for it!!! Wish i could be there. Have fun everyone!

How bout Bar B Quau??? I know that we have been to alot of contest that the GC does not pay even close to 500.00. I didnt mean to start anything I was just thinking that it was a little high if you ask me. Plus who is to say that he is going to show you what he is doing now?? He might be showing you what he did 5 years ago...??..!!

Greatgrills said:
How bout Bar B Quau??? I know that we have been to alot of contest that the GC does not pay even close to 500.00. I didnt mean to start anything I was just thinking that it was a little high if you ask me. Plus who is to say that he is going to show you what he is doing now?? He might be showing you what he did 5 years ago...??..!!

$500 FOR A 2 day overnight class from the current KCBS team of the year sounds about right to me.

Sawdustguy said:
$500 FOR A 2 day overnight class from the current KCBS team of the year sounds about right to me.
I agree, AND on BBQ Hill.

I kind of agree with Becky... or Mark... I took a class (although not of Mike's calibre) and was sort of disappointed. I already knew a lot of what was being taught. But I got to thinking that these things are probably a lot like someone sharing their recipes or secrets with you: you can get the info but you can't necessarily repeat the same results that person has gotten. I'm not knocking it either though, Todd. If you go down, have fun and ask the right questions, you're bound to learn a trick or two that might make the difference. Every little bit of education helps.

We will have Mike in California this coming year
Chris Lilly in July, Ray Lampe next month

I don't see paying that kind of money for anyones cooking class. Your money would would be better spent taking Jeff's and mine cooking class on the trash cans. No heat in the garage and you supply the beer, what could be better than that.. You have to ask Wayne(MoKan Meatheads)Jeff in KC and Doorbusters about that. More fun than ........you got the idea.

I'd be willing to bet that everyone who stayed sober and paid attention at my classes over the years has easily gotten a good return on their investment. A check here for $300 and a couple $100s and you're even. I see guys spend thousands beating their head against the wall when they could go to one class and get on track. Maybe not for everyone but definitely good for a lot of cooks and the game as a whole.

drbbq said:
I'd be willing to bet that everyone who stayed sober and paid attention at my classes over the years has easily gotten a good return on their investment. A check here for $300 and a couple $100s and you're even. I see guys spend thousands beating their head against the wall when they could go to one class and get on track. Maybe not for everyone but definitely good for a lot of cooks and the game as a whole.

Ray, if you had a class in Iowa at the Pork Expo, we'd be there. Maybe something to consider for your next year's schedule? :rolleyes:

Plowboy said:
Ray, if you had a class in Iowa at the Pork Expo, we'd be there. Maybe something to consider for your next year's schedule? :rolleyes:

There might be some kind of demos there this year but it won't be a full class. They aren't very interested in brisket or chicken!

M2C I would love to attend a class I have a lot to learn and the way I see it is that if I can pick up one technique that will give me a winning edge then it payed for itself. in just the last event alone if I would of picked up one spot I would of earned $125 bucks. I agree with Dr. BBQ that if you go and stay sober you will pick up something that will help you.

It all depends on how serious you are about winning It kills me to see some teams that show up to cook with all kinds of equipment, amps, kegs. party all night long then complain that the didn't hit in anything? now most of those guys are only doing one or two local events so I guess it would not pay for them to go do a cooking class?

Bubba said:
I don't see paying that kind of money for anyones cooking class. Your money would would be better spent taking Jeff's and mine cooking class on the trash cans. No heat in the garage and you supply the beer, what could be better than that.. You have to ask Wayne(MoKan Meatheads)Jeff in KC and Doorbusters about that. More fun than ........you got the idea.

When is the first class and where do I sign up????

Back