White smoke

Jeffm827i

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have cooked a few things on my UDS now. It seems to produce quite a bit of white smoke and not the light Blue smoke I see so many speak of. I usually get that smoke towards the end of my smoke. So I am using RO lump and 1/2 chimney of briquettes to start. Tell me what I am missing.

The white smoke in a clean burning UDS is from the fat and juiced dripping into the coals. It's perfectly normal.

Yea white is normal especially poultry drippings or a fatty butt

Mine takes an hour or so before it settles in enough to produce the thin blue smoke. The longer you can wait to throw the meat on the cleaner the smoke will be.

Stop buying your meat at the Green Frog:loco:........... Just Kidding

My wife is from Bakersfield. I thought you would get a kick out of someone from New Jersey calling out the Green Frog in a post. I don't have a UDS so I can't comment on your issue. I hope you get things figured out.

Good luck.

No Green a Frog shopping for me. You must be a a Transplant! I buy most of my meat from Woodale Market.

It can also be steam from damp cold make-up air white at the begging is a dirty fire. White after the cook has started is either a massive amount of drippings or as previously stated. Once you dump you hot on top lever the lid off until you see TBS start to rise then put the lid on and dial it in. I do it that way and I can be at cook temp ready to go withe TBS in 15 min.

Back