Brine hot wings?

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Gonna be smoking some hot wings on the weber today. Never brined anything. Would it benefit me to brine my hot wings before I put them on? Does anyone know a simple brine recipe?

I wouldn't. Brining helps to keep the white meat moist and there is none on the wings, right? I would not hesitate to apply a good rub.

(Waiting to see if the more knowledgeable cooks on the site have a different opinion.)

I wouldn't brine either. Generous amounts of rub and a good sprinkle of some HDD, dayum now I'm wanting some wangs!!:biggrin1:

Not sure that it would help, but it surely wouldn't hurt. Their small so wouldn't take long to brine.

Most chickens aer pre-brined these days anyway, but even if it wasn't, for wings it's not worth the time and effort to brine. Those little suckers cook up pretty quick and have enough fat under the skin to help keep 'em moist. The only time they seem to dry out is when they get overcooked to the point of getting charred.

Yes to brined wings. I always do. I visually see a difference when I do.

I wouldn't. Brining helps to keep the white meat moist and there is none on the wings, right? I would not hesitate to apply a good rub.

(Waiting to see if the more knowledgeable cooks on the site have a different opinion.)

Wings are white meat but I don't think you need to brine them.

Brine wings? Why so complicating? Throw the wings on the grill for 25-30 minutes.

Done!.

The last couple times I've done wings I brined them and I think they were a little juicier. I added a little apple cider vinegar and it gave them a nice flavor without adding sauce. Although I've had really good results without as well.

I just did a batch today that I brined, dried in the fridge overnight, dusted with corn starch today, rubbed and smoked. They were by far the juiciest, most flavorful, and best wings I have ever had. I'm still eating them as we speak. I will never do them any other way again. YES- brine them. It makes a huge difference.

This is one of those topics you can answer for yourself for less than a dollar and no risk 8)

A basic brine is based on one gallon of water with one cup of kosher type salt and one cup of sugar.
Scaled down to a quart of water and 1/4 cup each of salt and sugar should be plenty for a test batch.
Skip any added spices for now, you can "play" with flavors later.

Put some of the wings in a ZipLock and brine for 1 to 1.5 hours.

Cook both brined and unbrined and compare for yourself.

Internet opinions are nice, but only you can decide which you prefer.
Easey/Peasey and cheap! 8)

You will have Good Eats from both methods.

TIM

boom

This is one of those topics you can answer for yourself for less than a dollar and no risk 8)

A basic brine is based on one gallon of water with one cup of kosher type salt and one cup of sugar.
Scaled down to a quart of water and 1/4 cup each of salt and sugar should be plenty for a test batch.
Skip any added spices for now, you can "play" with flavors later.

Put some of the wings in a ZipLock and brine for 1 to 1.5 hours.

Cook both brined and unbrined and compare for yourself.

Internet opinions are nice, but only you can decide which you prefer.
Easey/Peasey and cheap! 8)

You will have Good Eats from both methods.

TIM

I see why they made you a moderator dropping knowledge like that!

The last couple of times I've grilled wings I've used a brine made with beer, salt, and grated fresh garlic. The flavor does get into the meat, not necessarily as beer but more like a hoppiness (IPA) or sweetness (dark lager).

Yup I brine all chix and pork. Most but not all are raised for size but no flavor so to me why not try to add more whenever u can.

I smoked up some frozen wings yesterday and all I did was defrost them, throw a rub on and smoke for 2 hours and they came out pretty darn good

I never give my birds a bath in water before cooking. I always inject as it adds flavor and also tenderizes.

i done wings that were brined before and i couldnt much difference, if any at all against non-brined wings. i'd say it's not worth it. IMO, wings can be done 100 different ways and still turn out great!!!

I just toss them in oil and Tabasco Chipotle sauce (about 1 Tbsp of each) then salt & pepper and leave in the fridge overnight.
Then sprinkle with rub and toss them on the smoker at about 275-300ish.
I've never brined and they're always juicy as.....
20120925_193851.jpg

Everybody that's tried them loves them.
Don't forget to post some pics of your results.

Cheers

Back