Make friends with the Tree man!!!

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
When people have asked where they can get wood, I always respond to them to make friends with the neighborhood tree man. These guys are more than happy to sell off the wood they cut as opposed to throwin it in the chipper. I've gotten an unlimited supply of oak this way. Also when available, cherry and maple plus a bunch of others.

Heres why....listen to attached. This was a message on my answering machine this morning.

The "yellow tree" refered to is that cotten candy wood we've used. Still not completely sure what it is. All this stuff will be here within a few days, usually I get a whole pickup truck loaded full. Delivered and stacked for 80 bucks.

Not a bad deal... So i say it again guys!

Make friends with the Treeman!

Attachments

• treeman_512.wav
    479.2 KB
Phil,

I hate you!

:D :D :D

Actually, they are trimming the oaks around the office this week -- sure wish I'd thought to bring my saw today!!

Damn the number cuts off too soon. I was gonna call and offer him an extra 20 bucks on top of phil's. Oh Well. I have my own tree guy that is gonna give me a couple of free loads of hickory for giving him tons of word of mouth business. Plus all my neighbors now know that I will help them cut down their trees in exchange for the wood.

But yes, definately make friends with the tree guy.

Unfortunately about all I can use around here is oak and I've got all the oak I need in my yard or in the neighborhood. Need to talk with my uncle though -- he's got some low chill apples and grapes over at his place -- hmmm!! :D

Anne and I are visiting friends in New Hampshire towards the end of October -- maybe I can scarf some wood from our friends woodpile :D "Excuse me dear, I have to go to the post office -- no need to carry our souveniers home through security." :D Come home to a couple of 30# boxes of firewood!

I was recently was asked if I wanted to come over and cut down a dead cherry tree in a friend's back yard. Turned out that the tree's trunk was 18" across. Most of the branches and limbs are cut and stacked behind my house. I cut the trunk into 2' sections and rolled them out of the way.
StL Mike

rolled them out of the way? where too? I'll take them.

Somehow I think he means he rolled them "out of sight" so nobody would "walk off" with 'em. :D

I try to get cherry, apple, etc. from friends when I can, and otherwise look to buy wood when I need it. The wife really likes a fire in the fireplace when it gets colder (she's had one going the last 2 nights), so I go throuhg quite a bit of wood. I called a number I found in the paper the other day, and the lady says "$30 a pickup truck load". I asked, like and 8-foot bed, standard pickup? she said whatever you bring. Told her, ok, I'll call you back when I can get a buddy with a truck. Then she says "or he can deliver it". How much more is that? "$10.... $40 total, delivered and stacked" I said "have him bring it Saturday!"

The guy was here a couple hours ago. I have a rack that holds a bonafide half a cord. Filled that rack, actually overstacked it a bit, and stacked probably another 1/4 cord next to it, so I got nearly a cord of oak, maple and a bit of cherry for $40. Gonna have to call him again!

thats a deal and a half!! i paid 80 bucks a truck load, but its BIG stuff. Trunks sections are 12-16 inches across. I cut them into 3 and 7 inch wheels and split them for small split logs and chunks. The Yellow wood that we habve been calling "cotten candy" seems to be MullBerry. He said the owner of the trees told him thats what they are. this time, the majority of the load was that stuff.

I was recently was asked if I wanted to come over and cut down a dead cherry tree in a friend's back yard. Turned out that the tree's trunk was 18" across. Most of the branches and limbs are cut and stacked behind my house. I cut the trunk into 2' sections and rolled them out of the way.
StL Mike

Your right, I rolled them out of the way, back into the brush, out of sight. I know where they are when I want to go back. The guy's backyard is about an acre, all wooded. Problem is that he is moving. The son bought the house, but I think I get along with him well enough to be able to go back when I want to.
StL Mike

Had to resurrect this old thread to enforce it once again... its an FAQ we get often and my old friend showed up today.. Listen to the wav file in the first post..

MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE TREE MAN!!

Domingo showed up about an hour ago out of the blue with a pickup full of wood. .. dumped a load of apple and hickory in the driveway. 40 bucks delivered.. he offered to stack it, but no room yet, and i need to get out an get some air anyway. beautiful day here today.. feels like 50 degrees.

Gotta love these guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 104
Gotta hand it to ya Phil. Is there anyone you don't know?

Wait a minute... this is SCRAP wood from stuff they cut down and would just chip anyway to haul to the dump and they're CHARGING you to take it and not have to do the labor to chip and get rid of it? Am I missing something here because to me, $40 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Compared to buying it commercially, yeah, but seems you're doing them a favor by just taking it in the first place.

Absolutely. They are just charging him for delivery. I bet if Phil went over and picked it up it would be free.

geezzz.. I guess you would take the approach of asking him for 40 bucks to take it off his hands?

Its 40 bucks.. he could have just chipped it, but instead he keeps me in mind, remembers I ask for fruit wood and delivers it.... He also carted away some old wood i wasnt going to use. Sounds like a favor to me.

The guy on occasion, shows up, with a loads of wood, usually stacks it and keeps me stocked in stuff thats hard to get... he brings mullberry, apple, peach, pear.. all the stuff i cant get from my regular supplier, and when I can, I pay top dollar, AND I have to go pick it up, load it, unload it and stack it.

The 40 bucks for gas money is well worth it to me.

parrothead said:
Delivery charge basically

If ya work it just right--delivery can be free :wink:
Just need to find the right source.

Nice haul there Phil.

TIM

i just stacked a cord and 1/2 and had to pay top dollar ( $256.00)
next time send your wood guy down here

Back