Two Charcuterie Firsts for Me (w/ Photos)

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
From one cut up whole loin:

My first Canadian Bacon has just finished its cure--used the center section of the loin. Trussed it up and now letting it dry in the fridge for 24 hours to form a beautiful pellicle.

2ur30ps.jpg

A brethren suggested I try porkstrami, so I took the sirloin end and cured it along with a 3-2-1 ratio of: coriander, black pepper & garlic powder. Rinsed it off, patted it dry and gave it another coating of the 3-2-1.

est2e8.jpg

I'll share more photos in a couple days after these are smoked and sliced. Hmm, Canadian Bacon sammich & porkstrami reuben?

Unrelated to charcuturie, but I figured I'd share this since you are probably wondering what I did with the last bit of the the loin--i.e. the ribeye end:

Chicken Fried Pork Ribeye Sammich

f39ylv.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I use the speed wrap net from butchers and packers to achieve a more round product. Your truss work looks nice and symmetrical though, mine not so much. Ha Ha

Very nice! I use the speed wrap net from butchers and packers to achieve a more round product. Your truss work looks nice and symmetrical though, mine not so much. Ha Ha

Thanks. The pork loin was very flat when I took it out of the fridge. I laid it on its side and pressed down good and hard to round it. The string trussing helped a lot, although not perfectly round--it's keeping it from flattening down like it was.

I want to smoke these in my Bandera--it's gonna be so cool hanging that loin in it! It'll really make use of the vertical goodness Antonio Bandera provides! :smile:

I want to hot smoke at 200F. Any suggestions on how I should make the fire in the Bandera to do this? I've only barbecued at around 250-300 in it so far.

Looks good "Chef Leonard" :wink: Love me some Canadian bacon eh!

I actually watched another video on youtube how to truss, but Chef Leonard does a better/quicker job of teaching the process. It's a cool video thanks, Keith: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIwbUBiRSE"]How to Tie a Roast with a String - YouTube[/ame]

looks great

when I want a real low fire in my offset I just use charcoal with a teeny bit of wood for the smoke.

you have to really watch it

They look great.

I will have to try that tie job on my next loins.

Chicken fried Canadian bacon -- genius, pharkin' genius.

I haven't done that yet, but we think alike. I was just thinking of doing that like the day before yesterday. I'll try it and let ya know :)

Also thought about doing cowgirl's cured chops (2 hours w/ TQ) rinsing off, pat dry and dredge in flour and fry like chicken--just adding pepper baecuase there is enough salt in the chop. Should be so juicy!

Those are gonna be goood. :thumb:

Even the porkstrami? Never tried it.. I'll let ya all know how it tastes. I've made a lot of beef pastrami lately so I'll give a comparison/contrast. (Which probably has already been talked about here.. but I'll share what I think as well.)

34qocux.jpg

Threw the Canadian bacon in Antonio to hot smoke it at 200F until an internal temp of 140F. Should I go higher than 140F? I've seen recipes with 150F.

Maintaining 195-215F fire with small coal bed and one to two large wood chunks at a time.

Last edited:
Using my hill billy $19.95 harbor freight special "stick burner gas assist" from time to time :)

Back