I think my maverick is off

Its a good thing bbq isn't cooked to temp. Just use the probe to check for tenderness. If that scares you buy a $10 big box store digital therm.

Yeah I guess I could do that. I am still new to this so I get nervous . And this is the first time I'm cookin for a party

I am goin to try boiling water . It seems that the food side port is bad. Now I'm kind of in a bad situation since I am supposed to be doin a pork butt for the Super Bowl party and my meat probe/port is screwed up

If it is Bone In cook it till the Bone Wiggles like a Kids a Loose Tooth, then let it rest 1 hr minimum before pulling or shredding. If it's Boneless cook it till a Probe or Ice Pick or Skewer goes in as Easily as it would into Pudding. You don't need to know the Meats Temp - just your pits temp. :mrgreen:

The Butts I get are always 9-10 lbs and take 8-10 hrs at 280-300* in my UDS - Ill start checking for bone wiggles or a Probe Tender at 7 hrs and check every. 45 minutes 2 times then every 30 minutes........

If it is Bone In cook it till the Bone Wiggles like a Kids a Loose Tooth, then let it rest 1 hr minimum before pulling or shredding. If it's Boneless cook it till a Probe or Ice Pick or Skewer goes in as Easily as it would into Pudding. You don't need to know the Meats Temp - just your pits temp. :mrgreen:

The Butts I get are always 9-10 lbs and take 8-10 hrs at 280-300* in my UDS - Ill start checking for bone wiggles or a Probe Tender at 7 hrs and check every. 45 minutes 2 times then every 30 minutes........

I'm goin to try and find about a 9 lb butt. My main concern was undercooked meat . But I suppose if I have it on for at least 7 hours(or till the bone wiggles) it should be fine

Yeah I guess I could do that. I am still new to this so I get nervous . And this is the first time I'm cookin for a party

You don't need to feel bad (or ridiculed) about using a thermometer. I am not new to this, and I still like to probe both my pit and my temp. Why? Because they are tools that help drive execution. If I don't feel like putting my hand over my smoker regularly or stare at my fire, a pit probe helps with that. If I don't feel like opening my door too often to check with a probe, a meat probe helps gauge my progress. While it may be true that knowing when meat is done is better accomplished with other methods than temp, that does not mean that you cannot utilize temp during effective cooking. I honestly think that "throw away your thermometer" needs added to the list of stuff to quit telling people along with "no pictures, didn't happen."

I for one am shocked to learn that a Maverick is is POS. :icon_smile_tongue:

hold your flames ...

I just got my replacement ET-733 the other day. My brand new unit ate batteries every two days while turned off.:evil:

Like I said buy a cheap digital probe therm. They are like the maverick but not remote and single probe.

Walmart
Meijer
Depot
BBC
Ector
$10-15

Well I did the boiling water and they both stuck right at 212 and hit 214 I think because I hit the bottom if the pot. I only had em in there for maybe 3 or 4 minutes but they seemed to hold at 212 i don't know what to think

Back