• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I feel like David vs. Goliath

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
This was our first year competing. We are just friends who do 4-6 comps. How do we compete with the big teams. We go to win or at least get our name called.

As you know this is not a cheap en devour so to spend the money on entry fees, meat, ect gets hard when you always see the same big name teams getting calls.

Our food has been in the top 25-35% which are happy with. Sadly to show up and see Pellet Envy, Truebud BBQ, ect makes me ask why?

So we have talked about not competing any more. So looking for thoughts from new teams as well as old teams with advise to push us on.

We enjoy getting together and hanging out with the other teams which have been great to us. Giving us tips and helping us.

This was our first year competing. We are just friends who do 4-6 comps. How do we compete with the big teams. We go to win or at least get our name called.

We enjoy getting together and hanging out with the other teams which have been great to us.

Which is more important?

If we finished last place every comp we might not compete any more but riding middle of the road would be worth it just for the fun times had.

If I were you, I would take Pellet Envy's competition class. That should shorten your learning curve considerably.

BTW if Pellet Envy is the one taking your entry fee, I would never give him the satisfaction of taking his class. Rod is a great guy, but come on. Do you really want to make the guys you FINALLY beat feel like they helped you win.

I have a little different attitude with it. I want the big boys there. When I win (If that ever happens), I want to have all the big teams there watch me walk up there and hear them talk about who this chump is.

Every "name" team was a new team once. Four categories cooked to perfection on an unforgiving timeline in field conditions is a damned hard thing to pull together, and even the big names don't do it every single week. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

So you and your teammates need to take a serious look at your goals, and what you are willing to do to reach them. What do you do in between contests-- how often do you practice? And by practice, I mean practice together. At a rate of 4 - 6 contests per season, it's hard to make meaningful improvement. Are you willing to do what it takes to ramp up your practice and competition schedule? Are you willing to lay down the fee for a class? Are you willing to put in some mileage to hit contests in a different area?

I think everybody who has gotten a call will tell you that there's a lot more that goes into it than what you see on contest day. Getting clear about what your goals are will help you determine how much work you'll put in to get there. There's no shame in wanting to win, but it doesn't usually happen by just showing up to have a good time and waiting for lightning to strike. In that kind of field, it's more like going to war, in terms of preparation and a well-executed plan.

As to why -- that's different for everybody. Whether it's the enjoyment of the challenge, or of the camaraderie among teams, or the particular delight of beating a certain name on a given day, as long as you know what you want out of it and what you're willing to do to get there, you'll find that it's worth everything you put into it. That three hours of crunch time on turn-in day is like nothing else. It's what keeps us coming back over and over.

We're a relatively new/inexperienced team....and we specifically like comps where the 'big boys' are. Makes a call feel all the better. Might sound crazy....but NOTHING is a sure shot in the world of competition barbecue. On any given day....anything can happen.

But I'd highly suggest taking a top notch class, given by a top notch team/cook. I think you'd see improvements your first time out following the class. Based on where you've been....that improvement might be all you need to exceed your expectations.

I have done 7 1/2 KCBS sanctioned contests(I cooked 2 categories at a Sams event for a buddy who needed help at last moment) 3 last year with 1 KCBS call and 4 1/2 with 9 KCBS calls. I cook on a 22 WSM and an 18 WSM.

If you are familiar with Iowa teams we have teams like Smokey D's, A boy and his BBQ, Big Tz Q Cru,Tippy Canoe, LuckysQ, Grills Gone Wild Iowa, Pigskin BBQ, Swine Assassins,Smokers Purgatory, etc etc etc. That is week in and week out. Throw in teams from other areas around here like Pork Patrol,True Bud,Quau, Shiggin and Grinnin etc etc etc and I would think that we have some of the toughest contests around.

I wanted to become competitive with these guys so I took a class(Cornfed Cookin) and cooked at the Frostbusters contest up here, set up like KCBS but after all judging was done we got to talk to CBJ's to see why they scored how they did. Our first contest out this year we had our rear ends handed to us. 2nd contest we got 2 calls, our very first 2 call contest, then Got a call at Sams, then at our next contest Mason City Iowa which is a pretty well known popular contest 66 teams this year 2 calls but a FIRST PLACE RIBS. Let me tell you what is cool when you do get a big call, for the most part at least for me it was those "big names" that were congratulating me more than anyone. I even got told by one of the "big names" that it is nice to see different names get the major calls. To finish our season at our last KCBS contest we got 4 calls.

I guess what I was trying to get at is even though we are a small team with basic equipment we can at our best hang with the "big names". What changed for us? I took the class and we changed our mindset. Instead of going there thinking "Oh chit look who is here" I decided it is more important to have fun and meet people. If it ever becomes only about winning then I need a new hobby, dont get me wrong getting a call and money is great but right now more than anything at all I want RESPECT. When I changed my entire thought process I relaxed, had more fun and thats when the calls started.

Beating the big boys is going to be hard, many have sponsorships and arrangements to get the best meat available, they cook together a LOT. They are polished and focused on winning.

That being said, what Alexa said is true, how badly do you want to win? How much do you work as a team, to perfect your skills, timing and flavor profiles? Have you tasted enough winning BBQ to know what you are looking for? If those things don't apply, then like in sports, you need to ask, how badly do you really want to win?

We know how you feel. We are a second year team we did 7 comps last year and will do 10 this year. Competition BBQ is insanely expensive and so much hard work it's crazy! Most weekends we compete against people who have won either the American Royal, The Jack, and/or are part of Big Poppa's Elite! So I know how you feel to be a little team against the Big teams.

Last year, we got at least one call at every competition we went to, which was thrilling, but it is hard to stay motivated. This winter we took a class and it helped us rise higher in the pack, now we have had 4 calls at the last 3 competitions! So taking a class definitely will help you.

I still consider us the underdog, but beating a top teams in a category or two or staying in line with them, for us it makes it worth it. We still have hope and the dream that eventually we might be one of those teams that other teams are worried about when we pull into a competition.

I also think it helps to set personal team goals, maybe you want to finish in the top 10 and get 2 calls. Then keep adjusting your goals as you improve!

BBQ is a crazy, silly and addicting passion! If you don't love it and it's not all you think about then choose a different hobby or BBQ in your backyard. I guarantee that the BBQ is constantly on the minds of the top teams or at least was for many years. Most competition teams do it weekend after weekend, because we can't stop!

Eggspert

We only compete 2 - 3 times a year. We have been at it for a decade and have not done better than 5th overall (although we are improving over time). We do it for fun and because I like to try to prove that I can cook well. Right or wrong, I am a firm believer in "The more you compete, the better you do". (Maybe that is my excuse) I take pleasure when I can beat one of the well known names in a category, which happens often enough to keep me satisfied. I echo Fat Freddy in something he said. When I got comfortable with what I was doing and relaxed a little more, that is when I started doing better. Regards.

I was re-reading the OP and I noticed something that was said."We are just friends"...I understand financially why teaming with friends is important but what is the old saying "too many cooks in the kitchen" or "too many chiefs not enough indians"...just something else to think about

Hozman, you and your crew are great guys and I'm glad to have met you all. You guys are in the same boat as us but we've told ourselves that we are there to have fun for now until we can designate more time to compete more than our 8 contest we do now. We are looking into taking us a class to help us get pushed over our stall at the moment. But it does get tough going out every time to finish middle of the pack but its better than DAL. I vote keep with and keep learning. Those bad ass teams started at some point too.

It should be no surprise that established teams that compete/cook week in and week out are doing better. Like almost everything in life, the more you do something, the better you become at doing it. I think you just need to change your mindset that every once in awhile you may be able to best some of those teams, but I wouldn't expect to do it with any consistency, until you put in the same type of committment that they are. Expecting anything else wouldn't make much sense.

Ditto what Alexa said. When we started her team Rhythm n' Que destroyed it here in the SW. They still do. We watched and saw that they are extremely focused at every comp. Everything has it's place and time. Everything must be just so with them. They are a seriously good team and they always made it abundantly clear to any new team that asked that in order to win you need all 4 meats on point and you need to practice hundreds of times. They were our model and when you look at and talk to other top teams they all behave similarly and they all practiced over and over and over. If you want to win accept that to win it will not be cheap, easy, or quick.

I am in agreement with most here in that I want to have fun (enjoy time with the wife), learn how to cook better and better, AND win!!!

Here in the MABA area, we compete against the likes of 3Eyz, Aporkalypse Now, Chix, Swine and Bovine, Checkered Flag 500, Deguello, Drilling & Grilling, Pepper Monkey, etc... To be honest, I love it when I see the BIG boys there! Makes me nervous, gives me anxiety, makes me wonder "How in the hell do we stand a chance", but most importantly, makes be really think hard about what I am doing. I think I am with a lot of people in that this stuff is costly and time consuming. Trust me, it makes for some heated discussions between the wife and I as I always think everything I cook turns out like schit, and I have a negative attitude towards our turn in. She gets pissed at me!

Then wouldn't you know it, we get a call! That changes everything, for the moment, until the week before the next comp. :biggrin1:

I had this crazy thought before we entered our first comp that "Hey, we can do this and win; everyone loves our BBQ." WRONG!!! Time for a reality check...

We have been to 3 professional classes. Myron's, 3Eyz/Swamp Boys, and 3Eyz. We have learned a bunch at all three. We're they worth it? Yes! For our part, we made vacations and other events out of the time we were there.

We have competed in 9 comps over the past year. Lucky enough to get calls in 8 of them and actually won some money at the SAMs comp this year.

Just this last 3 day weekend, I practiced brisket and chicken. We again had some heated discussions as I thought they turned out like junk (although the brisket was pretty dog-gone good). I am a pessimist and always think the worse, but, I told the wife I want to WIN! And, I want to be able to cook BBQ perfect under any conditions and for any occasion. I want to be on TV! I want to sell our homemade spices and sauces! (Yes, I am crazy... :wacko:)

Yea, I am shooting for the stars. I saw this saying in a BBQ news paper and have it posted on our fridge from the late John H. Willingham:

I Believe
(Do you?)
If you don't believe you can,
You won't.
If you always wonder if you should,
You will never know if you could.
And,
If you never, ever try,
You will forever wonder,
"Why?"
What could have been,
But never was,
Is
Because you didn't try.​

Yea, we are going broke and spending the few dollars for retirement and our kids inheritance, but hey, we are having a farking blast in the meantime!

I believe!!!

wallace

To be the best, you have to beat the best.....

The competitor in me won't let me say anything other than I am going to kick ass.

I go to a contest to do 2 things. Chew gum and kick ass and I just ran out of gum....

Back