Underground Pig (picture heavy)

GOOD ONE! When I first saw this post, I thought it must be from last year and someone resurrected it since it was sooooo long. Excellent job as always Jeanie. I'm going to call the food channel and ask if they want to do a show with you.... never showing ur face. Maybe make you wear a helmet cam or something to watch you do all these wonderful things with your awesome toys and food. Love ya gurl....xoxox

Country Girls ROCK!

lol I'd rather have my own fishing show. :biggrin:

Thanks tjus!! :wink: (((HUG)))

OK ... I can get dry ice at the local Publix. Pack it at the UPS Store. But I think it will have to be a 2 day delivery since you are in the country. Heck, when I lived in western ND, I couldn't get anything over-nighted to me and I lived in town. So look for the UPS truck the day after tomorrow. I sent it to

Jeannie Cowgirl
The Deer Camp
Western Oklahoma

so it might take an extra day to get to ya.

too much hassle with shipping dry ice overnight. instead get some mason jars ( or ball jars) and can the broth pressure cooker mod. then you can ship it easier.

Cowgirl,.....I'm speechless keep up the excellent work.

Not even 48 hours since the initiation of this thread and already 185 posts. Impressive Cowgirl!

Cowgirl. I snaffled that recipe for the shrimp from your Blog. Took a bit of searching for the search challenged that I am. Not sure what's in crab boil and it's unavailable here so tried Old Bay Seasoning instead with a shot of extra red pepper flakes.

Did it up in the oven. Oh my.So good probably better with the Crab Boil. Next time on the drum.

Thank you!!

Thank you Crazy Harry! I do have some canned chicken with broth on hand. I'll heat that up. :)

Rolf...thank you!

Phu and Guerry, If we got rid of the "jeanie doesn't exist" part and the "I've got a cold" part, it would be a lot smaller. :biggrin: Although I do wish my cold didn't exist. :redface:

QuietOne, I'm glad to hear that the recipe worked out for you! I've not tried it with old bay, bet it was tasty. The crab boil I use is in liquid form.
Thanks for letting me know. :cool::-D

Cowgirl. I snaffled that recipe for the shrimp from your Blog. Took a bit of searching for the search challenged that I am. Not sure what's in crab boil and it's unavailable here so tried Old Bay Seasoning instead with a shot of extra red pepper flakes.

Did it up in the oven. Oh my.So good probably better with the Crab Boil. Next time on the drum.

Thank you!!
Who ever heard of boiling crabs anyway. That's like boiling ribs! Real crabs are steamed :mrgreen:
Come on you Chesapeake boys back me up on this. No crab boil is better than Old Bay!
Todd's Crabby Dirt might be the exception ... but then again he is a member here.

Who ever heard of boiling crabs anyway. That's like boiling ribs! Real crabs are steamed :mrgreen:
Come on you Chesapeake boys back me up on this. No crab boil is better than Old Bay!
Todd's Crabby Dirt might be the exception ... but then again he is a member here.
Yep. Old Bay all the way.

Thank you everybody, you're a good group of friends. :cool:

FirecrackerJack, you do have to make sure your hot coal bed is deep enough to last for the whole cook, also use a hardwood. I use hedge...
I like to keep the grate a few inches above the hot coals but you can lay the tin and wrapped pig right on top of the coals. The skin isn't edible but it protects the meat and keeps it moist. The wet burlap helps too.

Around here wood isn't that abundant so people use old hedgewood fence posts that have cured for years. When someone replaces miles and miles of fence the hedge posts are grabbed by country cooks like me. lol They are almost like petrified wood. They burn hot and long.

Skip, I cooked this pig in the same location as my last two. I didn't think to look for lump coal. I will check it out tomorrow when it's light enough. I haven't filled the hole in yet. :-D

Hey cowgirl,
Thanks for the info, I truly appreciate you taking your time to share your experience and wisdom. As time goes by I'm working on moving to the right location where I can try a few of these things that you do, ( one I'd like to build a similar smokehouse to your's, and I definitely wanna try the whole hog underground). Currently I'm stuck in a city environment, where I'm renting land for a mobile, so I'm pretty restricted with what I can get away with. But as I type this, I'm at my brothers new place(recently moved to the upper peninsula of Michigan). I'm like so envious I could cry. Wild deer feed at his back porch steps(ok well almost wild, the lady next property over feeds them by hand)...Towns folk said that they saw a small pack of wolves leaving the neighbors drive just the other day(that's what they claim!)
.....And I'm not exactly sure, as the newly fallen snow had somewhat melted, but I could swear I was looking at a bear print while walking the dog out in the drive yesterday.
Anyway while due to the economy in the Detroit area, the world I used to know is currently falling out from underneath me, it however is leaving me the opportunity to maybe move up here to the U.P. as well. (plenty of room for smokehouses and backyard pits).
You do inspire me so, thanks.:mrgreen:

CRW_1603.jpg

CRW_1586.jpg

CRW_1648.jpg

CRW_1643.jpg

CRW_1625.jpg

CRW_1634-1.jpg

Firecracker Jack, Thank you so much! You are so kind. :cool:

Your pictures are beautiful!! I'd say your brother has it made. :-D I hope you are able to find a hunk of land of your own in the UP too, I know you will love it.
Thank you for the pictures....they are really awesome! :biggrin:

Jeanie thanks for the recipe, i hunted back through this thread until I found it. I knew it would be here because you said you would post it. A brethren

cowgirl,
I appreciate what you do very much. I will have to try the shrimp this weekend. Thanks for the recipe. I will probably get over the negative posts later. But being a southern boy, disparaging a ladies character (especially in a public forum) is a little more than I will let slide.

I don't say I am sorry. I make sure I don't do the things that apologizes are needed for. If I say something that offends someone they can bet I meant it and there will be no apologizes.

Apparently nolesfan### apologized. Great. Being a repeat offender, I question the sincerity; but that is just me and my southern upbringing.

Hope you are feeling better cowgirl.

Jeanie thanks for the recipe, i hunted back through this thread until I found it. I knew it would be here because you said you would post it. A brethren

Jacob, you are so welcome. I am glad you found the recipe. I didn't realize at the time I posted it, that it would get buried. If you ever need a recipe from me or anything, feel free to shoot me a message. :wink:

cowgirl,
I appreciate what you do very much. I will have to try the shrimp this weekend. Thanks for the recipe. I will probably get over the negative posts later. But being a southern boy, disparaging a ladies character (especially in a public forum) is a little more than I will let slide.

I don't say I am sorry. I make sure I don't do the things that apologizes are needed for. If I say something that offends someone they can bet I meant it and there will be no apologizes.

Apparently nolesfan### apologized. Great. Being a repeat offender, I question the sincerity; but that is just me and my southern upbringing.

Hope you are feeling better cowgirl.

Memphis, you're welcome too. I hope the recipe works out well for you!
You are a true gentleman Memphis....thank you. :cool:

Oh yeah.... my head feels like it's the size of a basketball. :biggrin: I'm drinking lots of fluids and resting. Thanks. :wink:

Jeanie

I'm a lurker on this and many BBQ sites. I love cooking BBQ and have learned a ton about it from all of you. I'm just not comfortable enough to do a lot of posting. But, I have followed Jeanie's postings on many sites for several years. She is the "real deal" for anyone having any doubts. I am one of the few people on these websites that actually know's what she looks like, and I'm not telling how I know. Jeanie, your secret is safe with me! She is one of the few people we have left in this world that truely emboddies the pioneer spirit that this country was founded on. If you'll notice she is about as self sufficient as it can get in this so called modern world. She claims that she's no different than many other women in her "community" as you PC'ers would call it. But, I beg to differ. She's just a step ahead of even them. If it ever comes down to a matter of survival, she will be one of them.

Cowgirl first off I want to say awesome cook. I am fairly new here and everything you have cooked looks simply amazing. I've read a couplefew of your threads.

I was reading the deer camp thread the other day and never looked at the user name of who started the thread. When I think of deer camp I picture a bunch of dudes drinking beer telling stories having fun. Basically you have to come back with a deer so your wife understands that you actually went hunting.

As I was looking at your pictures I was like no way a man could cook a spread like this at deer camp!!! I was showing my wife and she like no way. Then we realize the OP's user name and it was you. Cowgirl keep up the great work and it has been a pleasure reading 14 plus pages of post whorin!!!! Thank you for sharing. Vince B

Great Job Cowgirl. Beautiful pork and all those fixins....A ton better looking than my last one. I didn't wrap with foil first. The burlap stuck to the skin it was a waste of good crunchy pork skin. Kinda cold huh?

I am 4 days late on this one...................and all I can say is Oh My Gosh!!!!!
You are amazing girl!

Back