New to all this charcoal talk, can someone explain to me the thermapen?

Plaid Palace

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I looked it up but there were several different kinds it looked like. How is it used? How is it better than a meat thermometer?

I am getting a Kamado Joe soon and wondering if I need to invest in a thermapen with my purchase of a KJ.

Thermapens are instant read thermometers... Blue is the fastest!!
These are not to be left in the cooker - just for a quick temp check.
Do you NEED one... no - but it's a great gift idea.

As for other opinions, which are just that. Red is by far THE FASTEST. Do you need one? Fark Yes!!!!!!! Nothing aids in your cooking than that of a Thermapen..oh and booze. Lots of booze. Jus sayin'

Thermapens are great because they are fast and accurate, which is especially good for outdoor cooking because you don't want to leave your cooker open very long when checking temps and have too much heat escaping.

And all that talk about which color is fastest is total nonsense - it doesn't matter what color they are - that is if you get the black or orange ones, anyway - the other ones are much slower and less accurate.

As far as smoking, my flaming fast thermapen (fastest) has served as nothing more than a fancy object to thrust into meat to see if its probing like butter. Total waste but it looks cool.

But...

As far as grilling goes and even stovetop, it's been a great investment. I'm not a trained chef with years of experience that allows me to touch a piece of meat to feel if its done. Since I've had my thermapen, all my other non-smoked meats have yet to be overcooked and dry.

A thermapen is a nice addition to you bbq arsenal, although if I were getting a kamado joe, one of the things I would buy (or add to a Christmas list) before a thermapen would be a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B004IMA718"]Maverick ET732[/ame] remote thermometer.

I use my thermapen mostly for checking doneness in smaller cuts of meat and probing for doneness on butts, brisket and the like. Although, with the Maverick you can monitor your pit temps and your meat temps remotely while you are in your living room or even better your bedroom sleeping soundly, or whatever else you do in there. :tape::grin: You can set separate alarms for each that will alert you when your meat is done or you cooking temps go above or below your desired temps. I say put them both on your Christmas list. :biggrin1:

The speed is important to not keeping the lid open very long so your fire doesn't flare up as much while you are checking temps.

The small tip creates a much smaller hole from which juices can escape.

Cost more than it really should, but worth more than it costs.

Sorry guys - but the Maple Leaf Thermapen smokes all other versions.

Just sayin". Oh Canada!!!!!

canada_thermapen_a.png

You do NOT NEED one. They are useful but I find them to be inaccurate in high pressure cooking (hot). Low and slow tends to be very accurate.

Sorry guys - but the Maple Leaf Thermapen smokes all other versions.

Just sayin". Oh Canada!!!!!

canada_thermapen_a.png

That one can get a bit sappy. Stick with the fastest color - blue . If it matches your Performer color that enables it to be even faster.

If you want the fastest (and easiest to find), get the orange one.

It's an old joke at this site about which color is fastest.

What ever you do DON'T ask CD:tsk: :mrgreen:

Don't wake sleeping dogs mod

The true benefit of the Thermapen is that you don't have to hold your hand over the heat while a lesser unit counts up from ambient to the IT one or two degrees at a time. Also makes a great "buttah" probe.

Back