Cold smoking cheese - need your opinions

forrest2906

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tahnks to all who take the time to look and especially the ones who input advice or laugh at me.

I Have just received a smokedaddy big kahuna model. I am jonesing to use it and am thinking about making a hole in a rubbermade tough tote and placeing stackable cookie sheets inside covered with the cheese to cold smoke.

Does anyone see an issue with using this or an old igloo cooler for the cold smoke chamber? Should I just build a wooden box? i know the wife would kill me if I got out the drill and installed this on the side oh the new bradley she got for her birthday last month.

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated, and yes i will post pics later of whatever disaster i come up with.

Thanks, Chuckster

The rubbermaid or the cooler would be a great idea. I would check out craigslist for the cooler. That way you don't have to use one of your good ones. Dave(Rookie48) uses a 5 gal bucket with a few holes for rods to put the racks on for the cheese.

I don't think you will get enough heat to worry about any flavors from the plastic, or warping the plastic on either the tote or a cooler. Maybe do a test run with your smoke generator and see how warm the smoke outlet gets.

I'd be more inclined to make a cardboard box prototype to get your size correct, then build a dedicated wooden box later on. This way you could have a custom fit for whatever storebought racks you want to use, as well as building some hangers for dowels in case you want to hang sausages or other things.

For an idea of where I'm headed with this, here is the rack for my Big Chief. It has brackets for a drip pan and plenty of racks. I added some hanging hooks. Inside a wooden box you could build a similar set-up, and notch the upper rack supports so they could hold your dowels. In addition to doing cheese, I flavor smoke a lot of things for 2 or 3 hours, then move to another cooker (or the oven) to finish them off.

DSC02737aaa.jpg

The rubbermaid or the cooler would be a great idea. I would check out craigslist for the cooler. That way you don't have to use one of your good ones. Dave(Rookie48) uses a 5 gal bucket with a few holes for rods to put the racks on for the cheese.

Here's the link to my UCB (Ugly Cheese Bucket):

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69597&highlight=How+I+Smoke+Cheese

You've got the Big Kahuna where I'm using the old smaller version on this one. Just make sure to keep the air turned down so it doesn't gett over-smoked. Don't even ask how I know that . . . :icon_blush:.

Back