Hawaiian Luau at Work Wednesday

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I volunteered my time to help out Dining Services here at the Senior Community where I'm HR Manager on Wednesday. I'll be doing Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken (legs I believe) and smoked salmon on the Spicewine, grilled pineapple spears and banana macadamia nut muffins. We'll be serving approximately 150 residents and 50 team members so close to 200 people. We're having the whole hog done elsewhere, which is ok with me... wouldn't fit in the Spicewine left whole as they want it. I'll have some photos to post after it's over. Should be a blast!

Sounds like a fantastic event. It's really great that you are available to help the Senior Community. To often they are neglected.

I'm looking forward to see pics when all is said and done.

Define senior... Im 42 do I qualify? Sounds great cant wait for the pics.....

Spam Spam Spam Spam........ Oh no don't get me started!

Sounds great Jeff, a job where you can bbq while on duty?

Life is good for you and thanks for helping out the residents.

Jon, no, it's in Independence at our community there near 23rd St. and 291 Highway.

LOL Ash! We have a couple of people in their late 50's living there. I have to define senior as older than you because if I don't, that includes me cuz I got you by a couple of years. :shock:

Bull, yeah, because the Director of Dining Services is a buddy of mine and also a competitive BBQ chef, things are good there! Today when I was leaving, he told me that sometime next month, he's buying 4 cases of babybacks for the community and wants me to come down to the kitchen and spend a day messing around with some rub experiments and us putting two cases of babies each on our own pits and feed the residents for dinner. Then in October is our Fountains Blaze Off and Senior Q. We have about 26 teams in this KCBS contest (mostly hand-picked due to the need to control the loud partying in the parking lot of the community). We invite one resident per table of judges to participate as a judge. Then when the awards are over, the teams donate their competition meat leftovers and we have a big community dinner for all the residents and any of their families that want to come in! Yep, for a BBQ guy, this place is da bomb to work at! I'm SO glad I'm out of my old job! Love it here! Forgot... when I need off a friday for a contest, I can also work a weekend day in the same pay period and make up for it, not having to use any vacation for BBQ whereas in my old job, almost all my vacation was going to BBQ comps!

Ummm Ron, the point is to make the residents WANT to eat, not sick!

Best of luck Brother, a noteworthy reason to be Q'ing! And let's not get into a discussion of the "Senior" breakpoint!!

Back