House of Grills Rib Cook Off

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Received this in an e-mail Saturday from the House of Grills, a privately owned Weber store located in Ewardsburg, Mi just north of South Bend, IN. I'll be stopping in today to pay my entry fee. Wifey has no problem if I add another Weber to the collection, now all I have to do is go out there and please the judges. The question I have is should I go with St. Louis spares or Baby Backs?

HOUSE OF GRILLS - Tailgate and Rib Cook-Off
Rules and Regulations

This fun and friendly RIB BBQ cook-off competition will give local back yard cooks a chance to showcase their talents and possibly win prizes. Barbecue is defined as uncured meat prepared on a wood or charcoal fire, or gas grill, basted or not as the cook sees fit. All meat must start out raw, not frozen and not marinated in any way. After meat has been inspected, meat can be marinated, but absolutely no cooking can begin until 11: 00 am, and it must not leave the contest site.

Remember

1) This is a fun and friendly competition.
2) All contestants are expected to respect the rights of other teams. No profane language or infringe on another teams area.

Equipment and Supplies

1) Each team competing shall supply all of their own meat, cooking ingredients, individual cooking utensils, preparation tables, etc. The only thing provided to the contestants is a regulation cooking area and necessary sanitation facilities.
2) No pre-seasoned meat is allowed. Baby back or St. Louis certified style ribs are allowed. Country style ribs will not be allowed.
3) YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR OWN ELECTRICITY IF NEEDED.

Cook-Off Time Line

9:00 – 10:00 a.m. Set up your space and get ready to BBQ. Remember creativity counts. ALL SITES MUST BE SET UP BY 10:00 a.m. the day of the competition.
10:00 -10:30 a.m. Meat inspection
11:00 a.m. Cooking begins
5:30 - 6:00 p.m. All entries MUST be turned into the judges.
7:00 p.m. Prizes will be awarded at

AFTER THE COOK-OFF IS OVER

Team cooking area must be cleared by 8:00 p.m. on the day of the competition. No food or trash of any kind can be left in the cooking area.

Good Luck!

Eligibility:

1) All team members must be at least 14 years of age. The Chief cook must be at least 21 years of age.
2) All teams must be registered and have all entry fees paid by 6:00 p.m. the Friday night before the competition. Entry blanks are available at HOUSE OF GRILLS AND MORE 69411 M62 Edwardsburg, MI 49112.

Entry Fees:

A $40 space fee (20 x 20) will be charged to each team. Only 1 team per space is eligible to compete.

Judging:

1) Rib samples (6 bones) must be turned in by 6:00 p.m.
2) Judging will be done by 3 persons.
3) Your sample will be judged by all members of the judging team.
4) Each judge will rate the sample for PRESENTATION/APPEARANCE (is It arranged nicely, does it look appetizing, etc.), TENDERNESS/TEXTURE (is it moist or dry, tender tough etc.), and TASTE (spice, taste, smoke, meat/spice combination, overall palate, etc.) The scoring is from 9 (excellent), to 2 (bad).
5) To simplify the judging process no side sauce containers will be permitted in the meat judging containers. Ribs may be presented with or without sauce on it as the contestant wishes. Sauces may not be pooled in the container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Any entry not in complying with this rule will be given a (1) on appearance.
6) Entries are to be submitted for judging no earlier than 5:30 p.m. and no later than 6:00 p.m. with no exceptions.
7) Score sheets containing judges comments will be given to each of the competing teams.
8) Teams are encouraged to decorate their sites with a theme and or sponsor logo. In the event of any ties during this competition the best decorated team will determine the winner.

Awards

Prizes will be awarded as follows:
1) First place will receive a Weber 22½” one touch gold kettle valued at $159.00.
2) Second place will receive a Weber Smokey Joe Gold Grill valued at $39.00.
3) Each team will receive Participation Certificates.

Safety and Sanitation

1) Absolutely no pets will be permitted in the cooking area.
2) All team members will be required to wear shirts and shoes while in the cooking area.

Thanks Neil. sounds like it could be a fun afternoon. Question though, I didn't see a date, or it could be I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. BTW, you planning on entering??

Got a date bro?? or are you keeping this one to yourself:rolleyes: Sound's like it might be fun!

The date is this Saturday, 09/15/07. Sorry about that. The guy said he was going to have a big tent w/ a big screen TV so no one would miss the ND v UM game but that was before everyone found out how terrible both teams are. This will probably be the only game where both teams lose!

Back