What BBQ tools would you like?

Babyboomerboy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We have a blacksmith in our town that has offered to make some custom made BBQ tools for our Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion winners at our BBQ comp. What are the iron tools that you use most or would like to have? Or what type of tool would you like to see made that would help you with your firebox or in handling your grills better?

Top left is the iron tongs for moving the fire wood around

Last edited:
Thank you for your idea. We thought a tool to help in the firebox might be a good idea. Any other suggestions?

A short to medium length coal shovel with a narrow (er) head than you would get from a fireplace set, that has an intergrated handle (thick so you can use heavy gloves) so it doesn't loosen or spin off. Really a percision coal placement/moving tool. Tongs are good for logs not coal, chunks or chips.

I agree w/ Bernie. A good coal shovel is more useful to those of use that use charcoal and wood chunks rather than tongs.

A short to medium length coal shovel with a narrow (er) head than you would get from a fireplace set, that has an intergrated handle (thick so you can use heavy gloves) so it doesn't loosen or spin off. Really a percision coal placement/moving tool. Tongs are good for logs not coal, chunks or chips.
Bernie, I spoke with the blacksmith who is going to make the tools and he wanted to know what size of a head you had in mind? He makes a fireplace set and the shovel is about 5 inches wide. He is planning on making a poker, shovel and tongs for the Grand Champion and Reserve Champion.

I'd like a rack or rail to hold the bbq tools I already have.
pan-rack-02.jpg

the blacksmith who is going to make the tools and he wanted to know what size of a head you had in mind?

Others should add their thoughts but here are mine... since the opening to many smokers is narrow (compared to a fireplace) I think it should be 3-4 inches maximum width, also the throught on the pan doesn't need to be too deep as your moving ony a few smaller pieces with it. a slight kick at the base of the neck to let one scoop @ an angle and again the handle should be maybe 3/4 to 2/3rds of a normal fireplace set tool. If he's an old school smith ask him to make something that he would be able to stir and place his fire bed with.

Also I like the tool rack shown above a lot.

Others should add their thoughts but here are mine... since the opening to many smokers is narrow (compared to a fireplace) I think it should be 3-4 inches maximum width, also the throught on the pan doesn't need to be too deep as your moving ony a few smaller pieces with it. a slight kick at the base of the neck to let one scoop @ an angle and again the handle should be maybe 3/4 to 2/3rds of a normal fireplace set tool. If he's an old school smith ask him to make something that he would be able to stir and place his fire bed with.

Also I like the tool rack shown above a lot.

I agree... I think 5" would work though if that is standard... Preferably not curved at the mouth so you can scoop up ashes stuck in a corner easily

A Bigger Smoker, CTO, other than that, i got everything i need.

I agree with Vinny
Non tools- a pig to go on your table/smoker

Me too. If I won, I wouldn't want to be beating up the "trophy" using it to scoop stuff. A brand with the contest logo and "Grand Champion" would be really cool.

wide spatulas

I saw this at Kohls. It is under the Bobby Flay lable. The only thing I didn't like about it was it was in two peices and the rivets don't look sturdy enough. I think some thing like this would be great for briskets , buts and ribs

Back