• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dairy Queen "BBQ" Sammy Clone

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Recently, while my Dad was eating a pork BBQ sandwich that I made he mentioned that I should make some BBQ Dairy Queen (DQ) style. Now, I did my best to hide the insulted look on my face and agreed to give it a go.

If my Dad wants it, I will do my best to give it to him. So, here is my attempt to clone a DQ "BBQ" sandwich.

First thing I did was stop by the local DQ and order a "BBQ" sandwich. The kid that waited on me came from the back with something in a paper cup looking thing and put it in the microwave. It was pork with "BBQ" sauce mixed in. He let it heat in the microwave, put it on a bun, and put it back in the microwave to heat up the whole thing.

I took it home, and started to work on cloning it. Here is what I came up with.

Start with a barbecued pork butt -

picture.php

Pick some delicious pulled pork -

picture.php

Chop it and add some chicken broth and Head Country BBQ sauce -

picture.php

Simmer it until it becomes very soft - almost mushy -

picture.php

Add some Head Country BBQ sauce to taste -

picture.php

Then add some pulled and coarsely chopped BBQ pork to the mix. There should be some texture to it.

picture.php

Give it all a stir -

picture.php

Serve on a bun microwaved for about 8 seconds. Here the real DQ "BBQ" sammy is on the left and the clone is on the right -

picture.php

You will get a higher quality BBQ sandwich without the fat and gristle that comes in a Dairy Queen sandwich. Also, it will be real BBQ rather than a "crock pot" style of cooked pork warmed over in a microwave. The sesame seeds are optional, as you can see. They add nothing to the DQ sammy.

My Dad loves it! So, don't judge me too harshly, brethren. If cooking BBQ is about making people who are important to you happy, I have achieved that goal.

Your version looks like it was quite good. I bet that the seeded bun would have a positive psychological impact for him even if it didn't add anything to the taste.

I,as you, will do my Dayumdest to fulfill ANY and ALL requests made by my Dad.
Super Job!!!! Kudos to YOU!!!!!! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

First off Good on ya for taking care of your Pa! DQ is my Fast/Junk food of choice that samich must be a regional thing I have never seen it on the menu here but I'd try it once. Yours on the other hand I would fight a Rabid Pit Bull with aids for a just a bite.

I'm not sure about the whole aids infested rabid pit bull thing, but that does look like a pretty good sammich. That pork butt looks awesome also.

The butt looks great.

I've never tried that sauce but may give it a go sometime soon.

First off Good on ya for taking care of your Pa! DQ is my Fast/Junk food of choice that samich must be a regional thing I have never seen it on the menu here but I'd try it once. Yours on the other hand I would fight a Rabid Pit Bull with aids for a just a bite.

Your local DQ is certainly nowhere near what he has in Virginia. After all it is the "official stop sign of Texas", and therefore is a different breed than what is available in other parts of the country. For example, you can't get a "DUDE" outside of Texas that I know of. (chicken fried steak sammich for you foreigners) When I lived in South Texas, I rotated between the local DQ and Whataburger for my fast food fix. Can't find anything near the taste of a Whataburger here in Georgia. I guess the local Sonic comes closest. Dang, I miss Texas!

Blessings,

Omar

There is a Whataburger in Cola SC that was renovated some years back. It's not the same as it was when I was a kid in the mid to late 70's. It was a treat when Mom would take us to get a "wattaburger". I haven't seen a DQ around here that sells BBQ but most of the ones here are small outfits alongside gas stations.

That picture of that butt is making me hungry. I think I'll stop by the market on the way home from work this morning and get me some butt.

Last edited:
There is one just north of Birmingham Ala. on I65, but a little far for me to run and get a quick fix. :sad:

Blessings,

Omar

"
You get a higher quality sandwich without the fat and gristle at DQ"

That's not saying much

What's next?

The McRib?

"
You get a higher quality sandwich without the fat and gristle at DQ"

That's not saying much

What's next?

The McRib?

If my Dad wants a McRib, I will get him all of them he wants. Heck, you are making me want one! I'll have to stop by Micky Ds tomorrow.

Back