• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whole Bone-in Pork Loin

Smokin' D

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif
Whole Bone-in Pork Loin Smoke
I don't have the capacity or the energy to do a whole pig but the butcher brought this to my attention: a 21 pound whole loin at $1.19 a pound.

P9100315.jpg

I injected the meat with a bottle of Mojo Criollo marinade and rubbed it up with a garlic, scallion, black pepper, oregano, salt and olive oil rub. Had to cut it in half as at 36" long I had no cooker big enough.

P9100316.jpg

Here it is after about 4 hours on the drum. It smell as good as it looks!

P9100318.jpg

I'll post some more pron later on. While this was cooking I was also doing some home improvement by siding the gable end of a small roof over my deck. No beer for me, seeing as there were ladders and power tools involved!

That is a good lookin loin there. I am sure it's gonna taste good....

how long did it take?
how was the meat?
i find broiling pork loin can be dry....does it have enough fat?

how long did it take?
how was the meat?
i find broiling pork loin can be dry....does it have enough fat?

Hmmmm. how long did it take? Does it have enough fat?
Since there were five different cuts in this piece, some fatty and some lean and I had no idea how it would all come out, it cooked for about 7 hours, fat side down for four hours then flipped for the remaining time. As expected some parts were very succulent, especially the babybacks. Other parts were a tad dry and some portions were quite acceptable for moisture. As to serving this up: put it all on a big platter and sliced off some and tore off chunks with the bare hands. Medieval like. There were plenty of bones to go around and this will be cooked again in the future maybe brining first or injecting some oil or, dare I say, bacon fat into the less fatty cuts. Probably will cook it on the offset as opposed to the drum too.

Nice looking full loin there. I like the idea if injecting, you might look into the idea of placing lardons of bacon into the lean parts.

yea that is why i was asking
how would one do just the pork loin?
how about pork chops?
ok sorry for jacking......ill start a thread

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif
Whole Bone-in Pork Loin Smoke
I injected the meat with a bottle of Mojo Criollo marinade and rubbed it up with a garlic, scallion, black pepper, oregano, salt and olive oil rub. QUOTE]

How did you get the injection through the injector? Did you strain it?

that is a great sounding rub that you put on. Looks really good!

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

How did you get the injection through the injector? Did you strain it?

I've got one of the Skipjack Injectors with two needles. One has a slanted tip and the other has a solid tip with holes on the side. The first half of the bottle went in with no problem using the slanted tip needle. I did need to strain the second half of the bottle though, as the pulp from the orange was clogging things up. Think I'm gonna hafta get the bigger optional needle though.

That sounds good

Do you feel the bone in provides more moisture? I usually smoke boneless.
I prefer the Farmland select it runs about 15% moisture. I realize I am paying for brine but it sure makes a moist loin.

Back