Canopy 10x10 or 10x20

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gents,

We are going to buy a new canopy(s) for the 2006 season. Our old canopies were cheap crap. We will keep our old ones in case of rain to cover the smoker as they are both fire rated. I want to go with a commercial duty pop up canopy and want a full back cover and half height side covers. I am narrowing down the possibilities and before I went too far I thought I would like to get your opinion on wether to go with two 10x10's or a single 10x20. Most events we plan on participating in give you 20x20 so a 10x20 area for the canopy seems right. Fire away bro's what do you see as the advantages or disadvantages of either size canopy.

Will one is smaller than the other. :roll:

As usual, Brian is right on top of things. :cool:

I'd go 10x20, with a full back and walls. You will appreciate the walls the first time u get rained on.

Also, the way we do it, we use one wall everytime. We run it from the back corner, halfway along the side, and then run across and secure it to the opposite side. This gives you 2 10x10 rooms, one in the front to sit down, hang out with the people and in the back u have your kitchen area private. Keeps people from wandering in.

If I was buying I'd get two 10x10s - this allows a lot of flexibility in setup and you have all the sides/dividers. Another reason is that there are usually only 2 of us - and the 10x10s are a lot easier to handle.

The 10x20 is certainly not a bad choice, especially if you have the manpower.

We have one 10x10 that we use over the cooker or as our place to sit and get out of the morning dew! We also have a screened canopy (Coleman) but haven't had to use it for several cookoffs.

Phil,

Great point! I like that idea. As a matter of fact I just posted another thread about people getting into the cooking area.

We used to use 2 10x10 EZ-Ups and thought it was the only way to go. Used to laugh at the guys struggling to put up a 10x20 Hercules. Our Ez-Ups were destroyed this year and I bought a 10x20 Hercules. It does take two people 20 minutes or so to put up but in our opinion it is much better than two 10x10s. It seems like there is more room but it is an illusion because of all the head room. With the sides and ends it will offer better protection from the rain - even with the sides on the 10x10s.

We have the man power to put this up so that is no big deal. I like the idea of walling off half of it - may try that this weekend.

I use KD Kanopy. They are very sturdy. I have two 10 x 20. Two people can easily put it up. You can also put them together with a rain drain in between and get a 20 x 20. They have half sides, full sides as well as mesh net sides with serving windows.

I have a 10x20 and while it took awhile to put up myself (no one else could come down til Friday afternoon) at the AR, I would rather have it than a 10x10 or two. It isn't as flexible for different sized spaces but I agree with Wayne... it appears to have more room.

BBQchef33 said:
As usual, Brian is right on top of things. :cool:

I'd go 10x20, with a full back and walls. You will appreciate the walls the first time u get rained on.

Also, the way we do it, we use one wall everytime. We run it from the back corner, halfway along the side, and then run across and secure it to the opposite side. This gives you 2 10x10 rooms, one in the front to sit down, hang out with the people and in the back u have your kitchen area private. Keeps people from wandering in.

Hey Phil, a question popped into me brain regarding walls. We folks in the windy plains area of the nation could get into real trouble real fast if the wind gusted and blew a canopy down onto our heads and hot cookers.

Do they make partial backs or perforated panels that will allow some airflow, do you know?

Arlin

the 10x20s i use are actually carports. 2 foot center beam. Takes about half hour 2 set up(2 people). The walss attach with short bungies. One end has a zippered front that rolls up and snaps open. for the otrher end, i just dont attached the sides all the way to the bottom which allows it to blow open a bit. If your want, use a longer bugie to give it some slack to lie the wind blow in. The long sides are open at the top so wind goes in and up to bleed some off. Poles attached to the feet with bolts(pins), and the feet can be mounted to blacktop or steaked down. i have one up in the yard year round, all assembly pins and bolts are attached and its mounted to the deck. It handles 40MPH wind fine. You can get blacktop spikes at sports authority and use them if it gets to windy and spiral sandscrews work great for grass. They will never come out.

For a water drain(gutter) for my canopies while camping, I took a four inch pvc, 10-12 ft long and split down the middle, attached chain and hooks, and hang on the frames between canopies, voila, gutter. YFF

PS, make the chains gradually longer to develop slope

Carry 4 10 foot sections of PVC? No room for that. :oops:

I use some heavy plastic sheeting(drop cloth) and duct tape. Cut sheets about a foot wide, cut to length, attach one side to inside of tent, Attach the other to the outside and held the "gutter" open with some balled up plastic bags placed inside. Worked like a charm. Only problem was the small pond that formed in the corners we had the gutters draining to.

necessity was the mother of invention in that case.

Thanks everyone for your input. Your input has been very helpful in making my decision. I will go for a totally enclosed 10x20. Now I have to decide wether it will be an ez-up or not. Whatever it will be, I would like to get a commercial or heavy duty canopy. Any thoughts on this?

The 10x20 carport style canopy has a higher roof and seems bigger than the ez-up, but takes a coupl ebeople a good 30-40 minutes to put up and take down. there is also the issue of storage. 40 6 foot pipes, 12 connectors, and 5 very large tarps. I found a large tuffbox for the tarps at wally world. But the pipes and connectors take up a good amount of room.

The Ez-up is pretty much self contained and goes up and down a little faster, But doesnt seem as roomy.

couple considerations.....

I have both and find that the 10 X 10 is quick to go up and come down and the 10 X 20 is alot sturdier. A good wind will take out an easy up real quick. Everyone that I have seen at contest who have an easy up will have some kind of weight system attached to the legs to prevent them from blowing over. They might have prevented alot of this if they would have designed a roof vent at the peak to let the undercurrent of air pass through.

spicewine said:
I have both and find that the 10 X 10 is quick to go up and come down and the 10 X 20 is alot sturdier. A good wind will take out an easy up real quick. Everyone that I have seen at contest who have an easy up will have some kind of weight system attached to the legs to prevent them from blowing over. They might have prevented alot of this if they would have designed a roof vent at the peak to let the undercurrent of air pass through.
Sounds like EZ up needs to do a vent mod. :shock:

The Spicewine Ironworks " Breezy-Up " Vented at the top with a Spicewine Sticker on it -----$ 50.00 More8) 8)

spicewine said:
The Spicewine Ironworks " Breezy-Up " Vented at the top with a Spicewine Sticker on it -----$ 50.00 More8) 8)

But I bet it looks cool.

Back