Bite through chicken

Sauce?

Temp doesn't matter. It's the braising that works. Cook it however you want (bath/no bath, oil/no oil, grill or not) but finish by sealing it in a pan with the skin up does the trick. How long it needs to be cooked when sealed depends on the temp you cook at - lower temps take longer. Just make sure it's a tight seal.

This all makes sense but I have a follow up question from a new comp cook.

No one mentioned saucing. Im guessing you're pulling them from the foiled pan and saucing them and then putting them back on the pit to set the sauce?

No one mentioned saucing. Im guessing you're pulling them from the foiled pan and saucing them and then putting them back on the pit to set the sauce?
I dip, some brush and its put back on the cooker. Some people dont go back on the cooker.

Lube up the bird, cook at 350+ and you should be good to go... I do it all the time in my offset and don't have any problems with skin, unless I have used those water added birds.

#1 Many people have spent lots of time and money practicing to find the answer and or paid for a class to find out the answers. Lots of new members wander in and want a free class out of the competition section. It's one thing to help out people in Q-talk with getting their backyard Q just right. It's another to come in and ask how to do everything in the comp section. I've helped plenty of people with what they should do to get ready for their first comp, helped plenty of new teams at comps, given away supplies, etc. I'm all for help but at some point there's a line IMO. Podge probably doesn't remember it but right before I first started competing I asked him where he bought his meat because he is a local team. He politely answered the question but many of his friends heckled me pretty good over it and honestly they probably should have. At some point it is a competition and you are there to win. There's asking for help and then there is wanting a free pass to go to the front of the line.
#2 Out of respect to those that offer classes I think it's wrong to go around and tell everyone what you learned while there.

Now that I've said this, chicken skin has been covered plenty of times and a simple search would have taken care of the question. If you can't search I believe it's because you didn't bother to donate to the site or you are to new. Either way you haven't paid your dues IMO.
Gotta say I respect everything you said, you are right. I never really thought about it like that. I do think that asking a Question again should be ok because things change all the time and maybe someone has a better idea or method or solution that was never covered before in an earlier thread. Sorry guys I didn't mean any disrespect. :thumb:

Yes, that's right.

I don't mind answering. I have answered this and other questions more than once, and will probably do so again. I'm not taking away anything from people teaching classes - it's a basic technique. I'm not putting my whole program on here.

Also: I think that except for contest results, almost everything pertaining to BBQ has already been discussed here. Yeah, you could search for it - but a forum with no new posts would be kind of boring, no?

:deadhorse:

I scrape and cook in butter bath. My next door neighbor is a CBJ and he says he does not count off at all for that and I'm sure there is a lot more that do the same.

Gotta say I respect everything you said, you are right. I never really thought about it like that. I do think that asking a Question again should be ok because things change all the time and maybe someone has a better idea or method or solution that was never covered before in an earlier thread. Sorry guys I didn't mean any disrespect. :thumb:

Well looking back on my post I was a bit grumpy and harsh. This place is full of information and people willing to help. I hope my post doesn't stop you from asking questions.

Podge,

Brother, in that thread I didn't call you out and say you were the problem...I said people that are "just here to win" are the problem. People that care nothing about the culture of BBQ and everything about the $$$ and the plastic pig. People that hide in their trailers and don't spread the love that is BBQ. Those are the people that will kill this sport.

You sir teach a free class. You help people. You care about BBQ, though you seem a bit jaded (not a dis, just how your comment comes across). Once again, you specifically are not the problem with the current state of BBQ.

I brag about nothing. I just state the way things used to be, before the BBQ scene blew up and so many people became "just about winning". I have grown up over 2 decades in Comp BBQ. Many people haven't been in that long and don't remember the core community aspect that Competition BBQ was built around. Our team keeps to the traditions that were passed down to us, we have shared our knowledge freely for over a decade. It's not bragging, it is what our team is about. You could say it's our mission statement. We pass down and give freely the knowledge that has been passed to us by teams like us.

Like I said, "No offense meant y'all, I just miss the old days."

I'm not attacking anyone, just making a comment that increasingly on threads that contain questions about specific processes, more and more people are saying "take my class" or answering with things like "I don't have that problem" and when asked why they don't, their answer..."Take my class".

New people get turned off of this board because they are afraid to post. Someone could have been lurking for 3 months, finally get the courage to sign up and ask a question, and then we give them a crap answer or a sarcastic comment.

What I was trying to say was: why answer at all if you don't want to help?

I'm sorry if I offended you or rubbed you the wrong way.

I do not enter competitions, but I try to cook at that level for the family. I read everything I can get my hands on, and read these forums with gusto. Y'all have a lot of knowledge stored here.

Tonight I cooked a 3.5 lb. whole chicken on my Primo Grill. I think one secret to good BBQ chicken is to use smaller chickens instead of the wannabe turkeys they try to sell in the grocery stores.

There was minimal fat under the skin, so I did no scraping whatsoever. I rubbed the chicken well with melted butter (the real thing), then liberally applied Plowboy's Yardbird Rub. I placed the chicken on the Primo Chicken Sitter, and when the grill reached 325 degrees, the bird went on the smoker.

I cooked the chicken until the breast was 190 degrees, which goes against my previous thinking of 165-170. I removed the bird from the cooker and let it sit for 20 minutes. To my surprise, the chicken was juicy throughout, and the skin was easily bite through. The wife said it was the best chicken I ever cooked, which is good enough for me.

Thanks for all of the input. :thumb:

Anybody that knows me will tell you that I am the first person at a comp that will help you. If someone thinks that it is wrong to for me to make a comment about someone to take my cooking class as a answer we will have to disagree about it. What is wrong with me or anyone else getting paid for teaching bbq something that I am very passionate about. I guess being a WORLD CHAMPION should count for something.

I cook boneless, skinless thighs with no rub on a walmart $20 grill. Get the fire as hot as possible without melting the grill, only takes about 5 minutes all within the confines of my trailer while talking to know one. Turn in with no sauce and don't care if I win. Yes, I'm the problem.

I cook boneless, skinless thighs with no rub on a walmart $20 grill. Get the fire as hot as possible without melting the grill, only takes about 5 minutes all within the confines of my trailer while talking to know one. Turn in with no sauce and don't care if I win. Yes, I'm the problem.

I thought you used 'shine' as the glaze. Did you change? :tape:

Anybody that knows me will tell you that I am the first person at a comp that will help you. If someone thinks that it is wrong to for me to make a comment about someone to take my cooking class as a answer we will have to disagree about it. What is wrong with me or anyone else getting paid for teaching bbq something that I am very passionate about. I guess being a WORLD CHAMPION should count for something.

I was making a comment on the increasing number of people answering questions on here with "Take my Class" instead of not posting at all or just telling someone how to do it. I even said please don't take offense. It just seems lately that every question a newbie has gets a "Take my Class" response.

You started in BBQ back around the time I did...I can't recall a time before 2000 I asked a question to a BBQer and was answered with "take my class". It was a comment on how I missed the old days when we all would share info...

It wasn't meant as an attack brother, I apologize if it came across that way.

#1 Many people have spent lots of time and money practicing to find the answer and or paid for a class to find out the answers. Lots of new members wander in and want a free class out of the competition section. It's one thing to help out people in Q-talk with getting their backyard Q just right. It's another to come in and ask how to do everything in the comp section. I've helped plenty of people with what they should do to get ready for their first comp, helped plenty of new teams at comps, given away supplies, etc. I'm all for help but at some point there's a line IMO. Podge probably doesn't remember it but right before I first started competing I asked him where he bought his meat because he is a local team. He politely answered the question but many of his friends heckled me pretty good over it and honestly they probably should have. At some point it is a competition and you are there to win. There's asking for help and then there is wanting a free pass to go to the front of the line.

#2 Out of respect to those that offer classes I think it's wrong to go around and tell everyone what you learned while there.

Now that I've said this, chicken skin has been covered plenty of times and a simple search would have taken care of the question. If you can't search I believe it's because you didn't bother to donate to the site or you are to new. Either way you haven't paid your dues IMO.

I think it's completely acceptable for people to come on the forum and exchange information and ideas. We can all learn form each other to improve our cooking. There is nothing wrong with that at all. If you feel you have a secret method or technique and you want to keep it to yourself then by all means do but don't look down on others for sharing information.

Everything is better with butter :laugh:
i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-fabio.jpg

Keep your personal feelings out of the Comp Forum :becky:

This weekend I'm doing the butter/broth bath... wow, say that 5 times fast

Back