• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

scotch eggs first try

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I can see this is gonna be a learning experience. I used a recipe from about.com/homecooking. wrapped hard boiled eggs with some bob evan's sausage, then dipped in a beaten raw egg/dijon mustard then rolled in panko.

the directions said to use 1lb of sausage for 8 eggs. I used a 1/2 lb for 4 eggs but next time I'll double that. the sausage layer was just to thin for my liking. Also it said to deep fry for 10-15 mins which i knew that was way to long so I cut it back to 8 minutes. Even that was too long in my opinion.

All in all, not bad though.

Last edited:
I love scotch eggs and those look great. Now drown them in hot sauce and enjoy the firey gas in a few days.:twisted:

Those look good to me. I agree that the original fry time was too long; heck 8 minutes seems long when using panko......I have a hard time getting the thickness of the sausage even and mine tend to go from perfect color to a little dark before I know it. I do use flour-egg-bread crumbs combination for the coating.

For reference (and something to shoot for) I saved this picture from the internet. I have never gotten one this perfect, but I sure like trying.

ScothEgg.jpg

Scotch eggs are good fried and those look good, but they are great smoked. We use 1/4 pound sausage per egg. Then roll them in your favorite BBQ rub ( no Planko ) and put them in the smoker for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until internal temp is 170*. Then just before you take them out you can glaze them with some honey or maple syrup if you like or eat them plain. Here's some we did last week.:-D
100_0229LargeCustom.jpg

100_0232LargeCustom.jpg

100_0248LargeCustom.jpg

Man those smoke one does looks great. I might have to try them sometimes. Easter would be a god time to try them.P.S can you use something else if you cant find panko?

Last edited:
yup...them look great! gonna try that method next time~!

I think i'll be lookin forward to coloring eggs for easter, gots me a plan!! :twisted:

Scotch eggs look great! I would eat all of them.

I'll be in the mix with the kids to get my eggs now. :biggrin:

Back