Cant find a thread-pork butt

BASSER

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello Brethren, I thought I saved a prior thread and appears I didnt:wacko:. The one I'm referring to is one about using the drippings from a pork butt to pour over the pulled pork. It sounded really good and I'm doing a butt tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated:-D.

Hey Basser, a few weeks ago I posted something like that. I use a drip pan under my butts. When I remove the meat from the smoker, I pour the drippings into a container and let them sit for a bit till the fat comes to the top. I use a ladel to remove the fat leaving just the drippings behind. I then add an equal amount of apple juice (ie. if there's 4 oz. of drippings, I use 4 oz. of juice) to the drippings and pour it over the pork when I pull it. I end up with very moist and very tasty pork.
If that's not what you were looking for, then... nevermind. :p

What's a fat separator?

These are a couple of different fat separators. The fat goes to the top, and you get the good stuff off the bottom. You can also put the drippings in the fridge for a little bit, let the fat solidify, and spoon it off the top.

051107089-02-fat-separator_xlg_lg.jpg

Full-largegravymaster.jpg

This is how I do it. I always foil my butts after a few hours when color is good. When I foil I put them in an aluminum pan to catch the juices. (I usually go to the oven since I am no longer smoking). I probe thru the foil till tender.Then when I open the foil I catch the excess juices in the pan. I pour the excess juice in a container. You can add as needed back after pulled or refrig the juice and separate the fat to have a nice broth to add to the meat.

You could also use a foil pan to put the butt in and then cover with foil.
I do this and you get quite a good amount of juicy goodness :thumb:

Hey Basser, a few weeks ago I posted something like that. I use a drip pan under my butts. When I remove the meat from the smoker, I pour the drippings into a container and let them sit for a bit till the fat comes to the top. I use a ladel to remove the fat leaving just the drippings behind. I then add an equal amount of apple juice (ie. if there's 4 oz. of drippings, I use 4 oz. of juice) to the drippings and pour it over the pork when I pull it. I end up with very moist and very tasty pork.
If that's not what you were looking for, then... nevermind. :p

That's the one!!!! I just fired up the WSM for a 8lb butt and gonna try it! Thanks:clap:

Back