Be Careful Making UDS!/Student killed building barbeque

Cris

Knows what a fatty is.
Serious consequences for local high school kids making barbeques at school.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/S...t+rocks+Ottawa+high+school/4843671/story.html

I know that folks on this board are aware of most of the dangers associated with torches and welding, this unfortunate accident reminds us of something else to consider, the fumes from an empty barrel can be enough to ignite an explosion.

Several threads have been merged into this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a question on our safety test. But we don't cut barrels in my shop no matter what. If I do cut one I make sure the students are gone.

Student killed building barbecue

An 18 year old student was fatally injured yesterday in Ottawa, On. in his high school auto shop while attempting to build a barbecue. He was cutting a 55 gal drum that previously contained peppermint oil when it exploded, killing the student and injuring 5 others. Let's all be careful out there! thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1245486.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A reminder about cutting barrels/drums

Here is a link to a news story about a high school shop class making BBQ's out of drums and cutting same.

They were using MT peppermint oil drum. Peppermint oil is not only flammable but will generate heavier than air explosive vapours when heated only slightly. It is also allergenic and produces toxic fumes if burnt.

Sadly the latest news is the student didn't make it.

http://www.news1130.com/news/nation...ly-hurt-after-explosion-at-ottawa-high-school

When cutting any closed container you can do the following which, I have come to believe to be a safe and inexpensive method.
Put a couple of pounds of dry ice in the drum and wait 15 minutes. Cut away. As safe as it gets with no other problems. If you fill it with water you have to dispose of the water afterwards as hazardous waste.
:thumb:

That is very sad. The really horrible thing is that this was avaoidable and his shop teacher should have known better!!!

Don't know all of the specifics, Canadians are reluctant to share any details of a fatality, but they have been building them regularly in their shop class.

Should have been better ventilated, I believe if you run a pipe from your car exhaust into the drum it will neutralize any vapors that may explode.

Don't quote me on this but I think this is right, still very sad.

How many on this forum knew how volatile peppermint oil is! I didn't realize that it was as volatile and dangerous as it is. I knew that when the word oil is used in a description that it is more than not a flammable substance!. See my post on the matter from earlier to find out the other problems with peppermint oil.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107427

By the other information from the students and other sources the teacher was very safety aware. But it only takes a short time and one student taking a short cut whether it is by their own thought or from other students. That a catastrophic event happens.

Having spent 35 years in a large urban school system. You really don't know till you have walked a mile in a shop coat. And that is just the normal accidents, not the drug induced or stupid human tricks the kids try to do, copying TV/videos/movies.
Also the best method for making a drum safe to cut is explained.

How many on this forum knew how volatile peppermint oil is! I didn't realize that it was as volatile and dangerous as it is. I knew that when the word oil is used in a description that it is more than not a flammable substance!. See my post on the matter from earlier to find out the other problems with peppermint oil.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107427

By the other information from the students and other sources the teacher was very safety aware. But it only takes a short time and one student taking a short cut whether it is by their own thought or from other students. That a catastrophic event happens.

Having spent 35 years in a large urban school system. You really don't know till you have walked a mile in a shop coat. And that is just the normal accidents, not the drug induced or stupid human tricks the kids try to do, copying TV/videos/movies.
Also the best method for making a drum safe to cut is explained.

An MSDS can be very helpful before starting a project!

Sad news and a senior at that. Sympathy to the family and friends of the kid.

The artical says the drum the boy was sawing on contained peppermint oil and its fumes can be explosive when mixed with air.
Is this true?

The best action to take no barrel allow to be cut in shop. That my rules. Also it easy to stand on the side line and second guess the instructor. You never lived until you have a room full of student in a shop with dangerous equiptment.

Back