Dealing with Health Department during turn ins

I think that the PNWBA has done a pretty good job of taking a proactive stance in trying to educate teams in dealing with HD inspections. Even though each county is different, we usually get good reports from the inspectors when they've gone through and done their job.
I realize its probably too big of a deal for KCBS to tackle, and not in the business to, but regional BBQ Associations might be able to do a better job to hip organizers and teams to HD regulations?

Here is a registration from a recent PNWBA event that had BBQ, Dutch Oven and Chili sampling.

http://www.pnwba.com/events/2013/2013.comp.wa.moseslake.basinbash.pdf

just sayin'

By the way I think this is a great post. I certainly not going to slam orginisors or hold Them responsible for a county HD inspecting me during my chicken turn in, but I do think this is a good lesson. Here in AZ there is not that many orginisors and what the pnwba is doing by being proactive with HD is a good lesson for them. Let's face it, having the HD at the event is not enjoyed by any orginisors I know. Why not bring them to us first to educate the HD on what is import during a comp so they don't test us while turn ins and if the feel they need to inspect only do the teams that are actually have pc meat out.
I might get beat up for this a little but I believe most orginisors do the best job they can and most of them do not make real money by doing events. So you really got to love being involved with BBQ comps to do what they do with all that can go wrong at a comp. they put there reputations on the line very event they organize an event. There is a good chance they make a lot of friends and there is a good chance at some point they will loose friends all mostly for the love of BBQ.

The HD probably insured that a 2nd year contest this year in VA was it's last.

So true! We got lucky and had a nice inspector, but there was another "team" of inspectors that were epic *ssholes. Pepper Monkey was told to take down their decorative toy stuffed monkey they had hanging from their tent.

That one team of inspectors was on a power trip.

In 2010 at a contest in Queen Creek (AZ), a HD inspector showed up as we were deciding which chicken thighs were the best of our bunch. She proceeded to stick a hole in one of them before I even know what was happening. When I said, we were not even doing PC, she said, all teams are being checked. I've been to a lot of contests in many states. AZ is the only place that has happened. Everywhere else, inspectors have been given lists of teams doing PC and have not bothered those teams not participating.

In 2010 at a contest in Queen Creek (AZ), a HD inspector showed up as we were deciding which chicken thighs were the best of our bunch. She proceeded to stick a hole in one of them before I even know what was happening. When I said, we were not even doing PC, she said, all teams are being checked. I've been to a lot of contests in many states. AZ is the only place that has happened. Everywhere else, inspectors have been given lists of teams doing PC and have not bothered those teams not participating.
It's happened in Maryland

Rick, sounds like this guy was pretty new at his job...lucky he didn't get a themapen as a rectum thermometer...BTW are you West Valley now?

So true! We got lucky and had a nice inspector, but there was another "team" of inspectors that were epic *ssholes. Pepper Monkey was told to take down their decorative toy stuffed monkey they had hanging from their tent.

That one team of inspectors was on a power trip.

Although I think Mike might have been referring to a different VA comp than the one you're talking about, I heard the tales of that day. Joel and Erin are some of the most organized, sanitary minded competitors out there. When they get a ration of you know what, then you know it's bad. I did not participate in PC at the comp you're referring to. I did, however, participate at another one as a favor to the organizer. It did not go well on a number of levels.

Happened to us at Milwaukee the last year they had the comp. Inspector didn't mess with my meat though. He saw the 3 tubs, sanitizing test strips, and cambros and moved on. Gave our next door neighbors some grief though. We weren't doing peoples choice so I really don't know what the heck he was doing

We had an HD inspector at a comp once only suppose to be inspecting the teams doing the people's choice but he decided it was up to him to inspect everyone. I locked my trailer and walked away as I wasn't going to deal with that. Give some people a little bit of power and they can't handle themselves.

Back