• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brining a Pork Shoulder?

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a nice ~ 12 lbs pork shoulder roast without bone without speck waiting to be put on my WSM tomorrow.

02_pork_side_a.jpg

I already searched the forum, a similar thread about a year ago did not lead to a conclusive answer. Some say brining pork is totally unnecessary, others prefer to inject the brine.

Brining a pork can be beneficial or even necessary (see Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu Boneless Pork Belly), but it's not something I'd think about when prepping such a nice large piece of medium fatty pork.

Any thoughts?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158997

I definately would not brine that.

Maybe inject with some apple cider, apple vinegar, maple syrup etc.... but that's about it The reason is that you are putting it on real soon. If you were prepared to let sit in the brine for a few days, that might be OK. Anyway, that is a fine looking peice of meat. I'm sure it's going to taste awesome!

Cheers!

Bill

NO brine. You don't want to risk making hammy BBQ. That bad boy is full of flavor on it's own. Only bother with injecting flavor if (A) you're not happy with your product or (B) whoever is eating your food is only gonna eat one bite or two and ya wanna wow them for some reason.

Just rub and throw her on the smoker. As a matter of fact if the rub I wanna use has salt in it I will NOT ever let the rub sit much more than an couple hours before it's on the smoker to keep from having a hammy pork butt.

Just my opinion....ain't tellin ya to do a thing ya don't want to.:-D

I wouldn't waste my time brining or injecting that. It's gonna taste great as is. That's a nice looking hunk of pig. I might consider injecting if I was feeling adventurous, but it's not my usual process. I prefer a nice dry rub and just lay some smoke on it, then cook till it surrenders.

Back