Rain proof box for Golden Lion

huntin smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought a Golden Lion from woodpelletsmoker and knew I would need something for storage and smoking in rainy weather. I didn't want the stainless steel box he offered since I have more than one pit that I plan to use it on and don't want to have to unbolt it everytime I switch. The plastic box woodpelletsmoker offers just didn't look big enough for everything to fit in one package. I picked up a plastic tote with a moisture resistant seal in the lid from Home Depot and started making parts to set it up the way I wanted.

ry%3D400

First I made a flange to attach my air hose to the box. On the inside of the box there is another washer and a 3/4" coupler acts as a nut to keep it tight. The washer on the outside is welded to the 3/4" nipple. There is a bead of clear silicone around and behind the washer.

ry%3D400

I bought these vents off ebay they are meant for use on a boat and should work well for keeping the rain out. I used stainless hardware to attach them and more silicone. I also robbed a handle off an old weber I have had sitting in the back yard. There is a piece of plexiglas added to the lid to add some strength.

ry%3D400

To run to wires out of the box I stuck with the boat theme and bought a clam shell vent from a marine website. Again more stainless hardware and silicone. I also painted all the added parts to match.

ry%3D400

Here is a picture of the fan mounted inside the box. I had to flip the piece inside the fan assembly that restricts airflow when the fan isn't running. I was surprised how much air the fan pulls. Even with the three vents I could still feel the air being pulled through the vents.

ry%3D400

Here is everything bundled up on top. I put a shelf in to separate the fan and give me somewhere to mount the power cord and the Golden Lion console. The shelf is make from corrugated plastic sign that a roofer left in my yard for advertising. I painted it to match and suspended it with removable 3M hooks. The power cable and console are both secured with double sided tape to keep them from moving around. I hope the hooks and double sided tape hold up this summer when it starts heating up.
ry%3D400

Finally here is the hose I made to connect the unit to my smoker. It is made from 1-1/4" pool and spa hose. I tried using a dishwash drain hose but it didn't allow for enough air movement and it whistled pretty loud. A nipple and PVC union allows me to attach it to my smoker and the other end spins on the 3/4" nipple coming out of the box. I put a 1" to 3/4" bushing in the end that attaches to the rain box. It threaded itself in tight and makes a good seal. The pool and spa hose is smoother inside rather than the corrugated inside of a dishwasher drain. When it is hooked up you can feel the air blowing out of it 2' away.

I haven't got to try it out on my smoker yet but I am pretty sure everything should work smoothy. Thanks for looking and hopefully you might get some good ideas for your rain proof box no matter which controller you are using.

Looks great and a fun project. Hopefully that pool hose coupling won't get too hot when hooked to the smoker.

Looks great and a fun project. Hopefully that pool hose coupling won't get too hot when hooked to the smoker.

I don't think it will get hot enough. I have used the pitmaster Ique 110 and it uses a piece of plastic to connect the hose to the smoker and no problems with it.

Back